IGNORED

Snake!

Snakes are masters of camouflage.  Hard to believe a snake that's colored like this can hide so well. We're very fortunate not to have anything like this around here. 2" fangs that can easily pierce a leather boot not to mention a massive dose of venom. One of the most beautiful snakes I've ever gotten to see up close and personal.

image.thumb.png.ae05afe74effdb0a0efaf17a4bbca57e.pngimage.png.8330e78eba2ffe0922befb46d7083730.png image.thumb.png.256beb3f283ca13522c31fd9f1ecf6a1.png

He's in here somewhere.

image.png.8cbfea337304c4396e8c2dad95b109c5.png

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

Snakes are masters of camouflage.  Hard to believe a snake that's colored like this can hide so well. We're very fortunate not to have anything like this around here. 2" fangs that can easily pierce a leather boot not to mention a massive dose of venom. One of the most beautiful snakes I've ever gotten to see up close and personal.

image.thumb.png.ae05afe74effdb0a0efaf17a4bbca57e.pngimage.png.8330e78eba2ffe0922befb46d7083730.png image.thumb.png.256beb3f283ca13522c31fd9f1ecf6a1.png
He's in here somewhere.
image.png.8cbfea337304c4396e8c2dad95b109c5.png
Chief what is that first one on the deck?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I really wish that would have happened when one of those happy couples was taking pictures on the bridge.  If there was a sequence with the snake slowly entering the frame from above and falling onto our smiling family it would have been a viral sensation!

Had to wait for baby-in-a-wooden-bucket pictures once.

Can't say I've come across anything really big here in CenTx, just a few 8"-12" snakes that quickly disappeared. Coming from Trinidad, the island being so close to Venezuela, big, and venomous snakes were quite common sightings.

Here's a well hidden one... A Mapepire... And even Anacondas are found from time to time.

AH-Fer-de-lance-Bothrops-asper-Costa-Rica-6622.jpg

7c3b0002247db2991d629c4469393c76.jpg

a9545f06521dc7013046ffce94b256d4.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

In the last several years I've come across a number of rat snakes, garter snakes, some water (? or maybe just rat snakes in a small muddy pool - there were a handful of them swimming in there - creepy) snakes, and one, fat, really P.O.ed rattlesnake. Almost all of these in the SATN. 

The rattlesnake I'd come up on quickly around a bend. This was at Bauerle Ranch Park just up the hill from the pond maybe 2 years ago. The grass was sorta high on each side of the trail and I didn't see it until I made the turn and it was right in front of me. I thought it was a downed branch laying across the trail. Until I was almost on it and I saw it move. I bunny hopped it (really poorly) and stopped to turn around and make sure my wife didn't follow me right over it. She didn't, thankfully. We kept our distance since we really couldn't see where he'd went in the grass but were surprised at how loud the rattle was. 

Surprisingly, I've not seen a coral snake on the trails although my wife has several times. 

I hiked up on a couple rattlers on the Good Water Trail, on the high ridge between Sawyer and Tejas, this weekend. One was a 4’ big fat boy the other a small baby. The big one was pissed, he assumed the strike pose and was rattling loud, while the little one was really chill,  no rattle.

Funny story...I was hiking with my daughter, we came up on the big one first, I cleared it from the trail...with a big stick lol. I told my daughter as we walked off, if you’re going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year you need to learn how to clear rattle snakes safely. So not even 15 min later we come up on the little one. And true to her word she found a really long stick and got it off the trail. Super proud of my little one....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenbo said:

Funny story...I was hiking with my daughter, we came up on the big one first, I cleared it from the trail...with a big stick lol. I told my daughter as we walked off, if you’re going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year you need to learn how to clear rattle snakes safely. So not even 15 min later we come up on the little one. And true to her word she found a really long stick and got it off the trail. Super proud of my little one....

I have heard that the most common snake bite is when someone tried to move a snake with a 3 foot stick. That would be a snake that could strike 3' 1".

48 minutes ago, cxagent said:

I have heard that the most common snake bite is when someone tried to move a snake with a 3 foot stick. That would be a snake that could strike 3' 1".

Weird....the stick I found had a label that said “not to be used for moving rattle snakes”....but I ripped it off and did it anyway. Lol. Seriously you do need to know what your doing. My house backs up to a ranch so I’ve had to deal with rattle snakes for many years. 

When I took the pic of my daughter, because if it isn’t posted to Instagram it never happened, the shot makes it look like she’s using a 12” stick. 😲

Story for another day would be my roommate and I catching a water moccasin down in Seguin and bringing it back to the dorm at SWT as a pet... the RA was not real happy with us that day. I’ll admit not my smartest move there...

On 5/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, cxagent said:

Today on the BCGB - 

It is a hog nose snake. He flattened his head and tried to look venomous at first. When I insisted he get off the trail his head shrunk as he was leaving. That is when I got the camera out.

Hog Nose Snake.JPG

haha these are actually super cool snakes. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, cxagent said:

Today on the BCGB - 

It is a hog nose snake. He flattened his head and tried to look venomous at first. When I insisted he get off the trail his head shrunk as he was leaving.

I've seen snakes that I knew were not venomous based on their eyes, but they had a triangular head like a venomous snake.  Very confusing.  Never dawned on me they were doing what you just described.  Tricky, tricky!

1 hour ago, zrx24 said:

I've seen snakes that I knew were not venomous based on their eyes, but they had a triangular head like a venomous snake.  Very confusing.  Never dawned on me they were doing what you just described.  Tricky, tricky!

A few of them will do that, even shake their tail and hiss in a way that sounds like rattling. Tricky buggers. 

• 3 weeks later...