IGNORED

Snake!

Nope, definitely alive. On the NWCT a couple weeks back. 

Saw a tiny rattler no bigger than a garter snake right by the turnoff to the tennis center last Saturday. Weird thing, it was tucked up against a dead pigeon right on the edge of the concrete. No way it could eat the pigeon. It wasn’t as fat as my thumb. It was gone on our way back so didn’t get a pic. [emoji853]

Saw a 3 footer in almost the same exact spot a few years earlier. Guess they like to hunt in the field there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I were riding at Muleshoe yesterday and had a young coral snake cross our path. I usually only see one every 2 years around here anymore. And then.....this morning during our 5:30 run, we saw a larger coral snake moving along the gutter in TC. I should buy a lottery ticket.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:44 PM, Chongo Loco said:

Saw a tiny rattler no bigger than a garter snake right by the turnoff to the tennis center last Saturday. Weird thing, it was tucked up against a dead pigeon right on the edge of the concrete. No way it could eat the pigeon. It wasn’t as fat as my thumb. It was gone on our way back so didn’t get a pic. emoji853.png

Saw a 3 footer in almost the same exact spot a few years earlier. Guess they like to hunt in the field there.

I'll keep this in mind.  I do a social ride every Tuesday morning and we re-group at the turnoff to the tennis center before continuing on to the end by Decker Lake.  We're seen a rat snake or two there, but no danger noodles so far.

Edited by June Bug

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 9:21 AM, mack_turtle said:

Also not a snake, but I saw this bad MFer on the Latta Branch Greenbelt (gravel path west of Dick Nichols) a week or two ago. Apparently they have a nasty bite. 8-10" long.

20190603_185525.jpg

These things are all around my house. Seen a couple about ten inches long.

Read up on coral snakes. Very venomous but not very dangerous to people. Basically, you have to do something really stupid and let the coral snakes chew on you. No deaths from a Western coral snakes have ever been reported.

Rattlesnakes, on the other hand, are scary AF.

• Like 5

On 6/17/2019 at 9:09 AM, hurronnicane said:

1608705209_GardenFathersDayCruiseJune2019023.thumb.JPG.496ff73f90529c509a131fd12f0d0442.JPG

I have yet to see a snake on a ride this year, but there was this......495000052_GardenFathersDayCruiseJune2019025.thumb.JPG.9778635082e3fa4fbc38954361bdc4da.JPG

Speaking of these critters. When I first moved down the Austin in 2002, I remember a couple of times a year we would encounter "herds" of these things crawling across the roads. In fact the first time was on 1431 and all the cars had stopped to watch as hundreds (if not thousands) were crawling across the road. Quite the sight, until mister redneck in a 1-ton dually came flying through and squished a bunch of them.

In recent years, I haven't seen this phenomenon..in fact for a long time. 

Maybe the rednecks outnumbered the Tarantulas? 

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Read up on coral snakes. Very venomous but not very dangerous to people. Basically, you have to do something really stupid and let the coral snakes chew on you. No deaths from a Western coral snakes have ever been reported.

Rattlesnakes, on the other hand, are scary AF.

I actually don't mind snakes and usually relocate the yard rattlers into a bucket and then drop them off at the end of the street in TC (Copperwood if you're curious). They are usually juveniles and pretty mellow. This morning I was unsuccessful because corals move pretty fast when they want and he didn't want anything to do with my rake. At least rattlers make some noise and let you know they're there.

I grew up around the Mississippi river bottoms where aggressive water moccasins and copperheads were never in short supply. The good mountain bike trails were in their environment. Sometimes we'd go down to Snake Road to watch the migrations. Cool stuff.