IGNORED

Snake!

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

Speaking of these critters. When I first moved down the Austin in 2002, I remember a couple of times a year we would encounter "herds" of these things crawling across the roads. In fact the first time was on 1431 and all the cars had stopped to watch as hundreds (if not thousands) were crawling across the road. Quite the sight, until mister redneck in a 1-ton dually came flying through and squished a bunch of them.

In recent years, I haven't seen this phenomenon..in fact for a long time. 

Maybe the rednecks outnumbered the Tarantulas? 

I used to live in Oak Knoll back in the early 70's when that hood was dirt roads and few homes. I distinctly recall being in the kitchen while my mom went hysterical bat shit crazy crying looking out the back window that faced the woods. The yard was "moving" the road next to us was "moving"  there was an army of tarantulas crawling across. It was amazing to see. To my kid mind it was so cool,, but my mom being the fun governor she was would not let me outside.   If i remember correct this happened a couple times before they started to build houses and pave the roads. Never saw anything like that since. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I used to live in Oak Knoll back in the early 70's when that hood was dirt roads and few homes. I distinctly recall being in the kitchen while my mom went hysterical bat shit crazy crying looking out the back window that faced the woods. The yard was "moving" the road next to us was "moving"  there was an army of tarantulas crawling across. It was amazing to see. To my kid mind it was so cool,, but my mom being the fun governor she was would not let me outside.   If i remember correct this happened a couple times before they started to build houses and pave the roads. Never saw anything like that since. 

Yup, that pretty much describes this. It was amazing to look at. At first glance it appeared like the road was moving.

That was one of my first "They have that shit in Texas?" comments

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Yup, that pretty much describes this. It was amazing to look at. At first glance it appeared like the road was moving.

Y'all reminded me of the day I was mowing my yard in the summer in Richardson, TX, and I thought I'd been in the heat too long because a small tree was moving around in weird ways, with no wind.  It turns out that tree was a small Box Elder, and it was completely covered in Box Elder bugs.

I can't imagine what Oak Knoll must have looked like back in the 70's!  I do live across from one of the original ranch houses in the NW Balcones area (built in the 50's I think).  Most everything else got built out from the mid/late 70's to the 90's around here.  I do remember in the early 90's going to Lakeline Mall to pick-up a tuxedo rental, and thinking to myself "why would they build a mall in the middle of nothing?".  It all seemed like greenery from the highway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I"ve seen the same thing with herds of Californians moving here.....

It seems like they're EVERYWHERE, except the roads AREN'T moving.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, spicewookie said:

I"ve seen the same thing with herds of Californians moving here.....

It seems like they're EVERYWHERE, except the roads AREN'T moving.....

But I'm sure the redneck with the 1-ton dually would be more than happy to squish them all over the road

About half of the people moving to the Austin area are moving from other parts of Texas.  Californians are a tiny minority of people who have moved here in the past decade or so. It's a fun stereotype, but the idea that "Californians are invading Austin" is fake news bullshit that placates the Fox news know-nothing narative. Give it up.

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

About half of the people moving to the Austin area are moving from other parts of Texas.  Californians are a tiny minority of people who have moved here in the past decade or so. It's a fun stereotype, but the idea that "Californians are invading Austin" is fake news bullshit that placates the Fox news know-nothing narative. Give it up.

Ha!  Check your facts, dude.  My wife's a real estate agent, and the VAST majority of her clientele are relocating here from CA (particularly NoCal), IL, NY, and NJ.  I moved here with my ex-wife (NoCal) and met my current wife (from Santa Barbara) here, and her brother moved here from Santa Ynez.  The very first cul-de-sac I moved into (2005) had 7 houses:  3 occupied by Cali ex-pats, 1 from NY, 1 from from OH, and 2 from TX.    I couldn't care less about your politics or where you get your news from, but get real with yourself:  It's not a narrative (and yes, that's how you spell it), it's a fact.  Let me Google it for you . . .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Ha!  Check your facts, dude.  My wife's a real estate agent, and the VAST majority of her clientele are relocating here from CA (particularly NoCal), IL, NY, and NJ.  <....> Let me Google it for you . . .

Let me google that for you:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/how-many-people-are-moving-to-austin-every-day/

For the Austin region, according to data from Texas Demographic Center, a little more than half of all the people moving to the area come from other parts of the state. A good number comes from other states, and the city is also adding people from international immigration. 

Here's the thing with using a single realtor's input as a data point: It is totally biased. Not that they are biased, but realtors *generally* specialize in a particular area. If you were a realtor that specialized in my neighborhood you'd say that people come from all over (we have few California transplants.) But if you worked in my in-law's neighborhood you'd say 90% are coming from California.

Californians tend to cluster towards more expensive locations possibly because they are coming in with big checks from selling their homes and end up spending about the same amount here. When you sell a $1M 1500sqft house in the Bay Area, you look for that $1M 4000sqft house here because it seems like such a bargain.

Clearly we have a lot of them coming here from the Bay Area for tech jobs, and California is probably the primary supplier, but it looks like more than half of the people are coming from within the state.

Also, one little trick that you have to consider is when they say that Austin is adding 100+ people a day, consider that the number also includes births, not just the people moving here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Gringo said:

It's not a narrative (and yes, that's how you spell it), it's a fact.  Let me Google it for you . . .

I Googled it before posting. I am right and you are incorrect. I need to work on my thumb spelling skills, though.

I confess that it is fun to say "go back to California" to strangers. 

Edited by mack_turtle

28 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

I guess I can still yell “Don’t Dallas my Austin!”

That's no joke right there.  When I went to school here I didn't have a car.  I rode those Cap Metro UT Shuttles everywhere and my roommates car when we had to go for groceries.  When I moved back in 2003, it still felt like Austin as far as driving.  Coming from Dallas, the pace was a bit slower, more friendly, sometimes a bit frustrating when you're used to going 10 over and still getting passed by other drivers.  Now, it feels more like Dallas or Houston, with lots more aggressive drivers.  I often wonder if it's drivers bringing a bad influence, or if it's just the result of longer more frustrating commutes.  I think it's a bit of both.

On 6/17/2019 at 9:09 AM, hurronnicane said:

1608705209_GardenFathersDayCruiseJune2019023.thumb.JPG.496ff73f90529c509a131fd12f0d0442.JPG

I have yet to see a snake on a ride this year, but there was this......495000052_GardenFathersDayCruiseJune2019025.thumb.JPG.9778635082e3fa4fbc38954361bdc4da.JPG

It's nearing that time of year when the Tarantulas start coming out - mating season!  Get it, girl!

31 minutes ago, spicewookie said:

Fake news!  

Anyone notice that the bots invaded mojo about the same time as they invaded the elections?  Coincidence????

Nope, one of my sites was hacked by Russians as well. No real damage, just using it for a popup farm. Shut that shit down quickly.

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Let me google that for you:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/how-many-people-are-moving-to-austin-every-day/

Here's the thing with using a single realtor's input as a data point: It is totally biased. Not that they are biased, but realtors *generally* specialize in a particular area. If you were a realtor that specialized in my neighborhood you'd say that people come from all over (we have few California transplants.) But if you worked in my in-law's neighborhood you'd say 90% are coming from California.

Californians tend to cluster towards more expensive locations possibly because they are coming in with big checks from selling their homes and end up spending about the same amount here. When you sell a $1M 1500sqft house in the Bay Area, you look for that $1M 4000sqft house here because it seems like such a bargain.

Clearly we have a lot of them coming here from the Bay Area for tech jobs, and California is probably the primary supplier, but it looks like more than half of the people are coming from within the state.

Also, one little trick that you have to consider is when they say that Austin is adding 100+ people a day, consider that the number also includes births, not just the people moving here.

It is always error prone to take a small sample and extrapolate that to the entire population. It does not matter what you are looking at.

But I think there is a more obvious reason it *appears* so many of the new arrivals to Austin are from California. Those new arrivals like to tell you that they are from California. And extend that to say what was done in California should be done here. So if that was the "fix" in California, why did you move here????

(Said from the perspective of someone who worked in the aerospace industry with almost nothing but California transplants. And got to watch them move back to California when the Austin facility closed.)