IGNORED

Monday Sept 3rd: LGT (unofficial) Dragonslayer pre-ride call

CBaron

I made this ride call last year back when this Dragon Slayer thing was a little-known curiosity of an event. Both this pre-ride and then actual event went so well that I figured I'd make an (unofficial) pre-ride call again. Last year we had 12 people show up, however this time, I'm suspecting the turnout may be much bigger. I'm planning to keep most everything the same from last year except the starting location (since the DS start location was change...I too will change this to be the same as DS)

Time: Monday, 8am meet, 8:15 rollout. 
Place: Russel Park parking lot, Georgetown 
Pace: Steady tempo for 2 clockwise laps

Last year, I (many of us?) were uncertain about lap times and pacing. I think most of us have that figured out a bit by now. But if you don't, then this could be a good chance for you to work on it. As for myself, I plan to do a steady tempo for the 1st lap, then possibly pick it up a notch (or 2) for the second lap. This is pretty much how it went for the 4 of us in my 'group' last year. That being said, everyone is free to ride this ride how you choose. Below is a cut-n-paste from my 'ride guidance' from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
**PLEASE NOTE**

I tried to elude to this in my OP ride call, but I want to restate it again for everyone's benefit. I don't consider this a "group ride" in the traditional sense of the word. I don't plan (for anyone) to wait on people, or hurdle up for a mechanical or group-change flat tires and such. The best way to think of this is as a solo ride, where you'll be leaving with probably 10 other riders. If we happen to set a similar pace then great. If not, no big deal. The comfort and camaraderie here is in partaking in the similar endeavors on Monday, not so much in riding hand-n-hand as a big group. My experience in open ride calls is that we will get a variety of skill levels, a variety of agendas and all sprinkled in with some random mechanicals. Therefore, I just want everyone to be on the same page when we start.

All that being said, if you're interested in (pre) riding the trail on Monday, please come out! Forecast is showing great weather (71* @ 8am) and the chance of rain is fairly low. I'd bet that the trail should be in good shape by that time. And then the most important factor is that its 5 weeks out from the Dragonslayer ride. This makes it a critical window for building fitness in time for that event (which is the main reason I'm going to be out there). Additionally, its always good to get more trail data and bike setup info while out there (the 2nd reason I'll be there). If you have any questions or comments, please post up.

Later,
CJB

Here is a link to the Mojo thread from last year's ride call: Monday Sept 4th: LGT (unofficial) Dragonslayer pre-ride call

Once again, if you have any questions or comments, please post them up. I'm also attaching my Strava file from last year's ride in case anyone is interested.

Strava File from last year:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1168514299

Thanks
CJB

• Like 1

It seems to me that the momentum has swung over to this forum, so I wanted to bring this ride call over to here also.

I've been holding out until I could get a better window into the potential weather for Monday. There's both good and bad. The good, is that it looks like the temps will be easing off. This is very VERY good. The bad news is that there's a 60% chance of rain at 7am Monday morning. Therefore, we'll just have to keep waiting and seeing.

Thanks
CJB

I'm sure some of you will be moving so fast it doesn't matter, but the horseflies were relentless out there yesterday when Albert and I were clearing trees between Cedar Breaks and Crockett Gardens. If you ride slow like me or plan on frequent stops, some Deet might be in order. 

Just now, AntonioGG said:

I hate horse flies!  Those things have bitten me through my shorts.  Thanks for the warning.

Yeah, I had sleeves on my arms and they were able to bite through those no problems.  I didn't always have gloves on my hands, so that's how they got me there.  I was wearing jeans, so they didn't get me on my legs.  Guess next time I need to wear a denim shirt!  Because it wasn't hot enough already!  😉 

Given the sheer number of rocks (especially) and roots at LGT, it tends to get slippery pretty quickly once it starts raining.  Given they are stating "Scattered" or "Isolated" thunderstorms for most of the day, it'll probably be luck of the draw as to whether it actually rains at Lake Georgetown.  

image.png.e9673a0253dbc93401246c9a8e4657f5.png

I've been watching the weather forecast and honestly, the scattered nature of the precipitation forecast makes it a very difficult thing to call.  It would be better if the skies open up and dump rain.  I myself tend towards being on the "lets go" side of the ride-call forecasts.  But when I'm making the call, and feel a sense of responsibility for others, I'm a bit more conservative!  LGT is not a trail to be messed with in many ways.

That being said, we could reschedule this (2 lap) ride for next Sunday?

I'm just wanting to gather input and scheme some options.  My goal is to help as many of you who desire to get 2 laps under your belt to do so.  If at all possible, I'd like to have a decision made before we all go to bed tonight.

POST UP!

Thanks -CJB

2 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

Where are we starting from?

Time: Monday, 8am meet, 8:15 rollout. 
Place: Russel Park parking lot, Georgetown 
Pace: Steady tempo for 2 clockwise laps Realistically it looks more like 1 lap

More details are listed in the first post at the top of the page.  We will be leaving from Russell Park.  If you've never been there, then the 
trail head" is over around to the right before you get to the guard shack.  It sorta like a little cut de sac parking off to the right.  It should not be too hard to find.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this moment in time, I'm saying this thing is on.  But I want everyone to know that this place is 15-18 miles of FULL ROCKS and will be very (additionally) challenging if we get caught in the rain mid-lap.  Please plan accordingly.

I've got a feed for a weather station that is located about 1 mile for the lake.  If its legitimately raining in the morning, then I will make call here (and on Mojo) in the morning by 7am.

Thanks -CJB

A little last minute route guidance here...

Both times that I've found where The Organizer did the 2018 route, he took the lower option to the dam, instead of the road. The below image was from his May 10 ride named, "2018 Dragonslayer Route." So I assume this is the official route. 

image.png.9ecfb99a1f47d996ccc1721d30f41ecc.png

Well, about 3.25 miles in I realized I forgot my saddle bag which has all my spares, tubes, and CO2 cartridges.  I realized it b/c I had to stop to tighten my thru-axle lever which was loose and rattling.  Well, I eventually lost it completely.  I went back to my car, then back out to see if I could find it and to get more miles in close to my car in case I had a mechanical.  Got about 15.5 miles in of gnarly trail and had a blast right up until it started raining.  Thanks for the ride call Cody!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Well, about 3.25 miles in I realized I forgot my saddle bag which has all my spares, tubes, and CO2 cartridges.  I realized it b/c I had to stop to tighten my thru-axle lever which was loose and rattling.  Well, I eventually lost it completely.  I went back to my car, then back out to see if I could find it and to get more miles in close to my car in case I had a mechanical.  Got about 15.5 miles in of gnarly trail and had a blast right up until it started raining.  Thanks for the ride call Cody!

Glad to hear all went well (enough).  When we completed our lap, it was noticeable the amount of cars that had left early.  We got caught on the other side of the trail (just before the staircase) with a flat and fixed it in the rain.

I was pleased with the amount of people that showed up today.  I believe we had about 10-12 ppl and everyone was accounted for by the time we all left.  No broken wrists this time either!  Our group only did 1 lap because the precipitation made the rocks NASTY.  But the first lap was all-in-all a big success.

Since nobody got 2 laps in, there's a *chance* we may find another spot in the calendar to call a 2 lap pre-ride.  Stay tuned....

Cheers,  -CJB

• Like 3

Does the high humidity affect you guys? I opted out of riding a loop out there when I saw that the dew point was going to be 70+ all day. Not sure about the rest of you, but when the air is that moist, it just sucks the life out of me. I ended up doing 18 miles at Brushy, but stopped a few times to catch my breath and a couple of times to wring out my gloves, headband, and shirt. 

The humidity does certainly affect me, but so does riding in 100 degree heat in direct sunlight.  I've decided that I'm more comfortable riding in the humidity and can ride longer in the cooler temperatures than riding in the middle of the day.  I'm now riding either starting at (typically) 7:30am or at 6pm or later.  And I tend to avoid trails that are completely out in the open in the summer, such as 1/4 Notch (although I did ride that a week ago at around 8pm).  I have done several 20+ miles at Brushy Creek in the morning this summer, usually starting at 7:30 and ending around 10:30am.  I am absolutely soaking wet when I'm done.  😄

As for Lake Georgetown, having done some trailwork out there in the last week in the morning for 3-4 hours each time, the humidity is absolutely savage when you're walking around with jeans, boots, and long-sleeve shirts.  I'd still do a completely loop, though, as long as I started early enough (again, around 7:30am would be good).  I'm not sure about a second lap.  I may take Cody up on his upcoming two-lap ride call if he decides to do another pre-ride.  

..Al

Humidity definitely affects me a lot.

I think whether you prefer humidity and cooler air vs dryness and hot air all depends on how much body heat you're trying to get rid of (i.e. how hard you're riding.)  We humans cool-off through evaporation mostly.  If you remember HS chemistry class the heat of vaporization of water experiment (amazing how it stuck with me), it is a dramatic amount of heat you can remove through evaporation vs convection (or even contact, like in eating ice).  If you ride below a certain threshold, riding in humidity is not bad because through convection (better when it's humid) or just contact (sweat dripping off you) you get rid of enough heat.  But above a certain threshold, your body cannot get rid of that extra heat through convection.   As long as I have water and I'm sweating, if I'm riding hard, I'd rather ride in 95-100 than 80 and 90% humidity.

I made it to my car before the rain and I was completely soaked.  I did not walk through the wet crossings but my socks were just as wet as if I had.  Usually unzipping my jersey helps, but today it made zero difference.  It was gross, but at my pace it wasn't too bad b/c of the cloud cover and cooler temps.