IGNORED

What gears are you running?

What gears are you running?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Gear Set up, Pick as many as apply (multiple bikes)

• 1x9
    • 1x10
    • 1x11
    • 1x12
    • 2x9
    • 2x10
    • 3xAnything (You Animal)
    • Single Speed
    • Gearbox
    • Electric, with any of the above
    • Hammerschmidt (Can't touch this)
  2. 2. If money was no object, what setup would you have for ATX Area Trails?

• 1x9
    • 1x10
    • 1x11
    • 1x12
    • 2x9
    • 2x10
    • 3xAnything (You Animal)
    • Single Speed
    • 1x13

So, I am genuinely curious what the makeup of the drive-trains are in the group. 

If I missed an option, let me know and I'll update the poll if I can.

Disclaimer: I am NOT some industry insider trying to get free marketing research.

Edited by RedRider3141

10 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Disclaimer: I am NOT some industry insider trying to get free marketing research.

Sounds just like something and industry insider trying to get free marketing research would say......😁

I answered your damn poll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Honestly, my 2x9 was just about perfect for me for everything except for some of the longer downhill road sections of the EB. I used that granny gear plenty of times. I'm 1x10 on the Blur. I love not having a front mech to worry about, and I only miss the granny gear every once in a while since I'm not doing epic all day rides with insane hillclimbs anymore. Having 1x12 would get me closer to having a true bail out gear for the steep stuff, but otherwise I don't need it.

Juan El Evan has been doing great work on the trails I ride.

Absolutely, positively do not miss having the changeable front gears in the least.

1X is most liberating, as when I now see steep I don't have to think about what ring I'm on, just hit 1 button till the cadence is right.

I'm sure we'll have AI shifting soon that uses MTBProject and TrailForks data to chart what gear you were in on the last ride and shift for you on all subsequent visits to that route. Not sure I'd be all that keen on it, but the Millennials will like having things like that taken care of for them. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ridenfool said:

I'm sure we'll have AI shifting soon that uses MTBProject and TrailForks data to chart what gear you were in on the last ride and shift for you on all subsequent visits to that route. Not sure I'd be all that keen on it, but the Millennials will like having things like that taken care of for them. :classic_biggrin:

I think that the electric shifters will do that. You just choose up or down and it goes to the next ratio by moving the front AND rear derailuer. 

Also, Semi-Trucks have GPS enabled power curves. Not sure about GPS based auto-shifting. but what you are saying for MTBs is definitely possible. Dumb, but possible. 

Other, much more rare, options:

1) gear boxes like Pinion (not sure how many gears it has)

2) Rohloff hub (I think this would be 1x14?)

3) Would SRAMs AXS (wireless shifting) be an option? It isn't any more gears but it is a change to shifting apparatuses.

3) Rotor has a 1x13 group: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07/are-you-ready-for-1x13-rotor-is-and-its-made-a-humongous-10-52t-cassette-too/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spicewookie said:

Sounds just like something and industry insider trying to get free marketing research would say......😁

I answered your damn poll.

I wish I was an industry insider, you guys are easy. Every few months just add another gear and new wheel size/axle spacing. 

My boss, er, I mean I thank you. 

• Haha 5

I've seen probably 20 different "Hitler in the bunker" videos. I laughed at every single one of them. This is the first one of these I've seen, but I'm guessing I'll be seeing a lot more. Good!

And it's funny because it's true! 

• Like 1

34x20 on a 29x2.25 tire at the moment. I tried a few different gear combos and that one is just spinny enough to make it through chunk, climb long hills, and not get totally left behind when trying to keep up with a group of gearies. It also allows the shortest possible chainstay length in the slots on my frame, which I like because wheelies.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

I'm sure we'll have AI shifting soon that uses MTBProject and TrailForks data to chart what gear you were in on the last ride and shift for you on all subsequent visits to that route. Not sure I'd be all that keen on it, but the old fart boomers on the e-mtbs that they can afford because they refuse to retire/ die and let millennials take their place will like having things like that taken care of for them. :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

34x20 on a 29x2.25 tire at the moment. I tried a few different gear combos and that one is just spinny enough to make it through chunk, climb long hills, and not get totally left behind when trying to keep up with a group of gearies. It also allows the shortest possible chainstay length in the slots on my frame, which I like because wheelies.

Always impressed by people who can turn that big a ratio. Do you ride greenbelt or 4c much with that ratio? I like my 32x22 for most of the tech I ride and cannot fathom anything higher.

Edited by csmceuen
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

Always impressed by people who can turn that big a ratio. Do you ride greenbelt much with that ratio? I like my 32x22 for most of the tech I ride and cannot fathom anything higher.

Mine is spinny compared to most of the ASSes I know. This topic came up a few times previously and supposedly some are riding Lake Georgetown, 4C, etc on 34x17 and such nonsense.

I've ridden everything with 32/20 previously and anything I had to walk probably would have also been walked if I had a big ol cassette on there. I mostly ride SATN and Walnut on occasion. Might go to 32x21 if I plan to ride something new/ techy and if I don't have to try to keep up with the monsters who push big gears.

38x16 on my CX bike with 35mm tires for roads and gravel races. Singletrack quickly overwhelms that bike but it seems some trails too.

Everytime I ride BCGB, it's with a bunch of ridiculously skilled people who I hold back or I get lost/ injured riding on my own.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Mine is spinny compared to most of the ASSes I know. This topic came up a few times previously and supposedly some are riding Lake Georgetown, 4C, etc on 34x17 and such nonsense.

I've ridden everything with 32/20 previously and anything I had to walk probably would have also been walked if I had a big ol cassette on there. I mostly ride SATN and Walnut on occasion. Might go to 32x21 if I plan to ride something new/ techy and if I don't have to try to keep up with the monsters who push big gears.

38x16 on my CX bike with 35mm tires for roads and gravel races. Singletrack quickly overwhelms that bike but it seems some trails too.

Everytime I ride BCGB, it's with a bunch of ridiculously skilled people who I hold back or I get lost/ injured riding on my own.

I need bigger legs apparently, though the way I ride I would rather spin the gear I can climb everything on (with difficulty). I still ride as fast as the geared riders I go with so it works, but I would like to be able to do more ASS rides too at some point.

32x18 for my singlespeed which is the preferred bike for Austin. 

Geared are both 1x10, which is all you need here. 11-36 on the HT, 11-42 on the squishy. I wish I could get a heavier duty 11-42, mine is a sun race, which is not as rugged as a Shia no or SRAM. 

Whoever has the Hammerschmidt. I'm secretly jealous of you. Well, now I am just jealous. I rode my friends 2x9 Hammerschmidt and was convinced that is what I wanted. It was partially due to my front mech being garbage at the time. Since going to 1x11/1x10 I can't justify it. 

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

Whoever has the Hammerschmidt. I'm secretly jealous of you. Well, now I am just jealous. I rode my friends 2x9 Hammerschmidt and was convinced that is what I wanted. It was partially due to my front mech being garbage at the time. Since going to 1x11/1x10 I can't justify it. 

It works unbelievably well, though doesn't buy much more range than current 1X setups. But I get that range with less significant jumps between gears, less giant cassette cogs, and less chain. It does have more drag than a simple crank. I find I ride in the normal gear (24t) 90% of the time (also almost no drag). I only drop the hammer (1.6X or 38T) on flats and downhills. What I like most is the ability to in an instant use the planetary gear to pack on speed without spinning, only to dump the gear immediately when I get to a technical spot. While I rarely use the Hammer, it is my most common shift, as I almost leave the rear alone for most stuff.

I'd been looking at one of the 9spd giant cassette options, just to get a 40T on the rear (instead of my current 36T), but found in my parts bin the 22t hammer ring, so I'll swap the 24 for the 22 and get roughly the same low range as a 24/40 with my 22/36.

This bike has initially built up in 2009, but got a suspension and cockpit upgrade last year, so it feels pretty modern. 

IMG_20190508_094724.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

What I like most is the ability to in an instant use the planetary gear to pack on speed without spinning, only to dump the gear immediately when I get to a technical spot.

That was my favorite thing about it too. Great Looking bike!

1x anything is better than 2x or 3x IMO, but I ride trails almost exclusively and don’t need the wide range of high gears  

I ride a Giant Trance with a 1x12, which is cool and all, but I recently installed an OVAL ring in the front. That shit is a game changer! I was hesitant to spend the $65 on that one little ring because of mixed reviews, but it has absolutely helped me power through technical chunky climbs on Deception I was never able to clear before. Even though this is slightly off topic (sorry), I highly recommend an oval chain ring for anyone looking to improve peddling efficiency. 

• Like 4

SS-wise I'm running 32x17, but that was mostly for Double Lake race.  Around here I'll run either 32x18 or 32x20 depending on where I'm going.

I also run 1x12 on geared.  Not really necessary around here (1x10 or 1x11 is fine) but that's what it came with.