IGNORED

Random Bike Pictures

Sluggo

On 2/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, St.Bernardo said:

Think it's moving that direction.

Just noted some barnacles on the fork in the photo.  Might there be some attachment points for a bike rack on the rear triangle?  Can't quite tell from the photo. 

New bikes and rain?  Passé.  This bike may have unleashed the polar vortex: 

From Rice University grad student Ulyana Horodykyj Pena: 

"Around this time last year, Texas experienced an intense and damaging Arctic blast of cold air. Texas, of all places! This week, the “polar vortex” is at it again, bringing snow, ice and incredibly cold temperatures, this time across the central and eastern US. So, what’s going on? How can Arctic air reach so far south?

It has to do with a counter-clockwise spinning mass of cold air that hovers above the Arctic called the “polar vortex”, which grows and shrinks with the changing seasons. When stable, it remains closer to the North Pole, constrained by a strong polar jet stream. When there is a large temperature difference between the warmer mid-latitudes and the polar region, the jet stream is strong and keeps the polar vortex stable. But when the difference is smaller, the jet stream weakens and gets more wavy. This can cause the polar vortex to “break off” and plunge towards the south, bringing cold Arctic air with it.

Is climate change and/or new bikes to blame? In a nutshell, yes. In particular, the loss of sea ice due to warming temperatures has led the highly reflective surface of ice [and new bikes]  to transform to a dark absorbing surface of water [and bike frames] instead. This change is warming the higher latitudes and reducing the temperature difference between the mid-latitude and polar regions. That, in turn, weakens and destabilizes the polar jet stream. Future climate change likely will further weaken the polar jet stream, bringing rise to more extreme and unusual weather patterns. Global warming. Climate change. These terms have helped us define, through time, the changes that we’re witnessing. Perhaps a more accurate descriptor now is 'climate destabilization.'"

442506359_Screenshot2022-02-249_23_23AM.thumb.png.2ebdfc12ec246379182360f47455546e.png

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 2

I rode at Walnut Creek with my adult daughter (25) for the first time in a couple of years today.  It was really fun though a little confusing with the construction.  But I’ve always ridden there infrequently enough to get lost a time or two on every ride.   And only a few days ago I managed to get a ride in with my son (22).  It had been a hot second since I had ridden with either one of them so it has been a good week!

EB639CA9-D1C9-4233-977A-16B6A7584531.jpeg

EFA84A26-D8D9-4E72-8EED-900511087D34.jpeg

• Like 8

I saw my first wildflowers of the year today.  We are always a few weeks behind Austin.  Today was another amazing day of bird migration - three large flocks of Sandhill Cranes flew over while I was riding, necessitating parking the bike and looking for a window through the trees to watch them pass.  I would be okay with about six more months of today’s weather!

27F88C6A-01EE-49FA-9976-D90032D4D83C.jpeg

• Like 5