IGNORED

Random Bike Pictures

Sluggo

20 hours ago, The Tip said:

I didn't click the like button on the last one. It makes me too nervous!

When you say "staying in my truck," what does that mean? Looking at the picture of the opened back it looks like the truck bed is full of stuff. Where/how did you sleep?

Here is a better photo of my setup.  I've essentially got a single bed in the back of my truck (along with room for my bike).  I can stealth camp this setup most anywhere urban or rural.

62389140551__05F5DA2A-2332-4A8E-ABEA-5AA4D102FACB 2.JPG

• Like 3

Here's my setup when I was originally building it out (2 yrs ago).  Without my bike inside, it can be converted to a double bed setup and/or a desk/table for doing work or cooking when outside conditions are not optimal.  I've used this with my son(s) for anything from riding/camping in Palo Duro to hanging out with @Pimpjuice at a national car show in Ft Worth (all us parked in RV area).  The best thing about it is that its so efficient and cheap.  In our Palo Duro trip, all of the overnight campsites work booked up.  So we just parked near the bathrooms (in the day camping area) and inconspicuously slept there for the night (with the blinds up).  The only real limitations to it are when it gets warm (summertime) and then the when nature calls in the middle of the night (but I have a basic solution for that too).

IMG_6074.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

• Like 8

On 10/7/2022 at 9:23 AM, hurronnicane said:

I rode at Reimer’s on Wednesday afternoon.  As I went to put on my bike clothes I realized that I had forgotten the padded bike shorts! 🙁  I was surprised how little that actually bothered me on the ride, or afterwards.

DFC93284-CB9D-46A6-9703-B53FD669941A.jpeg

4054D674-ED0F-427E-8890-D968994BF43D.jpeg

Nice. Did the same thing in big bend and rode almost all day without them. A proper saddle makes such a huge difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How it started.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbdfabd60dd3a676fe4909a1933bfe6a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fd699325b32257d06761c0f71099aa6a.jpeg

How it's going.

image.thumb.jpeg.61eeccdc07b62779d440c866cd8847a0.jpeg

Howdy.  New around these parts.  Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  Figured this would be an appropriate venue for my first contribution.

Some of y'all may have seen me thrashing that old Karate Monkey around Brushy Creek.  Cracked it in half back in August.  New bike is a custom build from my neighbor Myles Russell. He's just starting out as a builder and he did a fantastic job on this frame.

I'm not much for social media, but I'll be posting a bunch of stuff for sale and for "Pay It Forward" in the near future.  Just saying hello for now.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, cutter said:

How it started.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbdfabd60dd3a676fe4909a1933bfe6a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fd699325b32257d06761c0f71099aa6a.jpeg

How it's going.

image.thumb.jpeg.61eeccdc07b62779d440c866cd8847a0.jpeg

Howdy.  New around these parts.  Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  Figured this would be an appropriate venue for my first contribution.

Some of y'all may have seen me thrashing that old Karate Monkey around Brushy Creek.  Cracked it in half back in August.  New bike is a custom build from my neighbor Myles Russell. He's just starting out as a builder and he did a fantastic job on this frame.

I'm not much for social media, but I'll be posting a bunch of stuff for sale and for "Pay It Forward" in the near future.  Just saying hello for now.

Welcome! And wow what was the circumstance that led to that break? I rode a karate monkey for over 10 years, seemed like was boom proof. 

2 hours ago, RonSurly said:

Welcome! And wow what was the circumstance that led to that break? I rode a karate monkey for over 10 years, seemed like was boom proof. 

Heh.  Yeah.  Bit of a long story.

When I first got the frame, I put one of the first generation White Brothers 29er shocks on it, and it had really tall aluminum caps covering the air valves at the top of the legs.  On the first gen Karate Monkeys they were still working out clearances and geo for 29ers, the down tubes were straight and steep.  The caps on the fork didn't quite clear the down tube and they left a score in the underside of the tube if the fork spun far enough.  I saw that and immediately switched to the rigid fork, but the damage was done.  At the time, I recall thinking that if the frame was ever going to crack, that's where it would happen.  But I figured, it's a Surly, 4130, it's probably never going to break, right?

This was like 2005-2006.  I turned the frame into something like a CX rig and it saw a good bit of fairly tame use for many years.

When we moved here a couple years ago, the Monkey was the only dirt worthy bike I had, so I built it up as a rigid SS with some big tires.  I'm about 210 lbs, so it took a pounding.  The break actually happened on a climb on Picnic, that short, steep little chute that pops out back at the paved path directly across from the access trail that leads up to the 1/4 Notch / DD intersection where the rock pile is.

I was up out of the saddle and pulling on the bars to get up that hill, nearly at the top, and I just felt the front end sort of lift up, as if I was going into a wheelie.  I looked down to see that cracked tube, and then the top tube bent backwards and the bike sort of folded under me.  Happened in slow motion since I was at the top of the hill and totally out of momentum, barely moving.  I just came off the back and I found myself standing still with the bars in my hands, very confused.  Very strange sensation.

When I went to pick it up after taking those pics, the top tube snapped as well.  Worst part was having to walk all the way back to my car under 183, trying to wheelie the rear half of the bike so it would roll while carrying the front half in my other hand.

It cracked pretty much exactly where the old fork had left that score in the down tube.  I had been chasing a phantom creak in that bike for a few weeks, and I guess I finally found the source.  Have to say, the frame held up really well, considering.  No rust or anything.  Chalk it up to a combination of age, abuse, and an artifact of the limitations of early 29er tech.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, cutter said:

Heh.  Yeah.  Bit of a long story.

When I first got the frame, I put one of the first generation White Brothers 29er shocks on it, and it had really tall aluminum caps covering the air valves at the top of the legs.  On the first gen Karate Monkeys they were still working out clearances and geo for 29ers, the down tubes were straight and steep.  The caps on the fork didn't quite clear the down tube and they left a score in the underside of the tube if the fork spun far enough.  I saw that and immediately switched to the rigid fork, but the damage was done.  At the time, I recall thinking that if the frame was ever going to crack, that's where it would happen.  But I figured, it's a Surly, 4130, it's probably never going to break, right?

This was like 2005-2006.  I turned the frame into something like a CX rig and it saw a good bit of fairly tame use for many years.

When we moved here a couple years ago, the Monkey was the only dirt worthy bike I had, so I built it up as a rigid SS with some big tires.  I'm about 210 lbs, so it took a pounding.  The break actually happened on a climb on Picnic, that short, steep little chute that pops out back at the paved path directly across from the access trail that leads up to the 1/4 Notch / DD intersection where the rock pile is.

I was up out of the saddle and pulling on the bars to get up that hill, nearly at the top, and I just felt the front end sort of lift up, as if I was going into a wheelie.  I looked down to see that cracked tube, and then the top tube bent backwards and the bike sort of folded under me.  Happened in slow motion since I was at the top of the hill and totally out of momentum, barely moving.  I just came off the back and I found myself standing still with the bars in my hands, very confused.  Very strange sensation.

When I went to pick it up after taking those pics, the top tube snapped as well.  Worst part was having to walk all the way back to my car under 183, trying to wheelie the rear half of the bike so it would roll while carrying the front half in my other hand.

It cracked pretty much exactly where the old fork had left that score in the down tube.  I had been chasing a phantom creak in that bike for a few weeks, and I guess I finally found the source.  Have to say, the frame held up really well, considering.  No rust or anything.  Chalk it up to a combination of age, abuse, and an artifact of the limitations of early 29er tech.

ah ok, shows even what many consider maybe an overbuilt frame can fail. Thanks for sharing