IGNORED

Random Bike Pictures

Sluggo

4 hours ago, RonSurly said:

ah ok, shows even what many consider maybe an overbuilt frame can fail. Thanks for sharing 

Any frame can fail.

I have broken:

• Gary Fisher: 2X
  • Hammerhead 1X
  • Knolly 3X (maybe 4, can't remember exactly)
  • Vassago 1X

I haven't broken:

• Santa Cruz
  • Redline
  • Vassago - yet  (different one, purple must be better)
  • Kona - yet

Basically Austin eats frames. If you ride them long enough here, they will break.

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Any frame can fail.

I have broken:

• Hammerhead 1X
  • Vassago 1X

I haven't broken:

• Santa Cruz
  • Redline
  • Kona - yet

Basically Austin eats frames. If you ride them long enough here, they will break.

Wow! That’s an amazing amount of broken frames. I’ve only ever bent a rigid fork from jumping too high to flat. 

If we're talking about broken frames, this is the 12 I have:

- 4 Gary Fisher Sugars. Aluminum. 

- 1 Giant VT. Aluminum.

- 1 Giant Reign. Aluminum. 

- 1 Motobecane Lurch. 4130 steel.

- 5 Banshee Spitfires. Aluminum. 3 gen 1s, 2 gen 2s. 

- 0 Santa Cruz 5010s in 17,000+ miles. Carbon fiber. 

- 0 Evil ChamoisHagars in 8,000+ miles. Carbon fiber.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CBaron said:

Never had one of my frames break.  To add onto that, I've only had 1 (rear) wheel failure also.  But that was very early in my riding and I was being stupid on a DH in CO (circa 1998).  

Maybe I don't ride enough?  🙂

-CJB

Interesting, I feel like there’s another factor working here. Like finesse vs power/brute force riding style that’s in play. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CBaron said:

Never had one of my frames break.  To add onto that, I've only had 1 (rear) wheel failure also.  But that was very early in my riding and I was being stupid on a DH in CO (circa 1998).  

Maybe I don't ride enough?  🙂

-CJB

Ive only destroyed one frame- Takara Road bike when I was about 15.  Was racing on the paved trails in where I grew up (The woodlands) came around a blind corner and a family was riding side by side.   I put my head down and plowed into the Father at his front fork and I went flying into the woods.  My friend turned inside and hard bumped the Mother.

As I was laying on my back is when I realized there was a kid in the seat of the bike I hit laying near me.

Got up, got yelled at by the Father.  Went to ride away and my front wheel was 3" into the frame- could only go left.  Walked home.  My dad and I took the fork off, put a crowbar into and in a vise and pulled and pulled to get it "rideable" .  Still always pulled left though.

• Like 1

The short answer on my frames is that I am not a hard rider by any means, no jumping, no big drops. Just wear and tear on the greenbelt mostly. But I do ride a lot.

The Knolly was the biggest offender and that was a burly bike. But it had a design flaw that meant they were replacing failed chain stays with new ones that still contained the same flaw.

To get us back on our original discussion, this was today:image.thumb.jpeg.378d0981f9acf1d1467d68854c4296f0.jpeg

An unmentionable new trail that I won't mention.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Barry said:

If we're talking about broken frames, this is the 12 I have:

- 4 Gary Fisher Sugars. Aluminum. 

- 1 Giant VT. Aluminum.

- 1 Giant Reign. Aluminum. 

- 1 Motobecane Lurch. 4130 steel.

- 5 Banshee Spitfires. Aluminum. 3 gen 1s, 2 gen 2s. 

- 0 Santa Cruz 5010s in 17,000+ miles. Carbon fiber. 

- 0 Evil ChamoisHagars in 8,000+ miles. Carbon fiber.  

Gary Fisher, AKA Crack and Fissure

On 11/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, AustinBike said:

Any frame can fail.

I have broken:

• Hammerhead 1X
  • Vassago 1X

I haven't broken:

• Santa Cruz
  • Redline
  • Kona - yet

Proflex 856 - hairline crack in bb shell about the time I decided it hated hill country drops

Trek Fuel(s) - 1 top tube failure at rear cable boss, 1 seat tube failure at weld by shock mount, 1 rear triangle on chainstay weld by wheel,  1 rear triangle failure on chain stay near bb. All in a 2 year period.  At this point the Trek rep upgraded me to a carbon frame, 2 years later broke another chainstay on the chunk of Al bonded to carbon stay. Sold it and went to Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz Tallboy - after 5 years of beating the ever loving shit out of it a metal washer like bit bonded to the carbon stay on the shock mount cracked. They didn’t have 2 gen old parts so got a whole new frame which I promptly sold and went beefier.  

Santa Cruz Hightower - been beating this one for 5 years, metal bit no longer on the SC stay, still rollin.

Conclusion: metal has a fatigue life, aluminum is the shortest of bicycle materials. I have a knack for finding its limit. Carbon seems to take the abuse of 210 lbs running dead over everything better.  

• Like 1