IGNORED

Random Bike Pictures

Sluggo

Getting ready for a big shuttle run descent from the franklins to the houses in the valley below. Hooked up with some locals and found the gnarly stuff. Definitely some Chihuahuan desert freeride going on out here. 

Smugglers.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 7

Patzcuaro, Mexico.  Yesterday was my fourth ride in five days here.  All of them have involved some amount of urban riding which has been a great way to see the town and a dizzying amount of visual, audio and olfactory experiences.  All the roads are cobblestone and our hosts bikes that we are using are hardtails.   And we are at 7000 feet and the rides have taken us up to around 8000 feet so plenty of huffing and puffing!  

4a556e3c-201f-479c-aa89-8db5128e812b.jpeg

IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1353.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off the bike since January 1 this year with a shoulder injury. Riding any bike in any configuration is agony... until now.

As I'm working my way through rehab, this is my new ride.

PXL_20240322_160223529.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.3464f6577473959ea13d7bcfc4990bee.jpg

IMG_20240322_111415_640.thumb.jpg.c595ea3adc2c7b12c6bf025a2807e4d7.jpg

Built around a Univega beach cruiser I found at Yellow Bike, I ditched most of the parts and started over. I had to buy the bottom bracket adapter cups and a shim for the handlebar, so I've spent less than $25 on it.

• Like 6

After riding yesterday we got back to our campsite and I promptly locked the bikes to a picnic table before realizing that I didn’t have the keys with me.  Fortunately the camp host texted the LCRA maintenance guy that night and he came by camp the following morning as I was finishing my second cup of coffee with his new bolt cutters and cut the padlock for me.  It is always a little disturbing to see how easily a lock can be removed.

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1804.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Non mountain biking friends (in the 60 to 70 yr old range) who have done extended bike touring in Europe, New Zealand, Japan bought e-bikes this past year.  

Their bikes are Specialied S-Works somethings, they swapped out the drop bars for flat bars and added about 1.9" tires with a smooth rolling tread.  They set it up so the battery is external and not inside the frame.  This lets them  pack the battery in a carry on when they fly with their bikes.  Also, one can just carry the battery inside a hotel room for charging. 

We did a partly gravel (caliche!) road ride with them in the  Round Mountain area a few weeks ago, and I picked up one of the bikes -- it's 30ish pounds, if  that -- feather light.  

They are in Spain/Portugal right now and reported that the bikes did great on some incredibly steep roads.  

Side note: Google "e-bike + solar panels".  Lots of interest on the topic of charging e-bikes with solar panels. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1