IGNORED

Partial EB route on US topos

From about 2003-2009 I recorded many of my rides with a GPS receiver and made maps for personal use. This week I revived my setup to update some old maps, and make new ones for the BCRT system.

But, while browsing the "US Topo" maps, I happened to see "Enchilada Buffet" on the map south of Walnut Creek. 

Just outside Walnut Creek (Mark's Art is at upper right):

eb-1-wc.jpg.f39d8796863c2b255884661d8c175a08.jpg

I wonder how this got included, if it was submitted by a rider, or picked up from the various ride logging websites.

This is a good reminder that THEY are listening.

Edited by brentb
Just one pic is enough.
  • Like 2

I've used TopoFusion for years, so I asked Scott, the creator of the application:

"No idea!  The maps are of USGS origin.  Maybe they picked it up from an OSM map?  Does it show up on any open street map layers?  Try open cycle map."

Looks like some detective work may be in order. The route has never been a big secret, so it's certainly possible that the map-makers got their hands on it, but I'm certainly curious as to how that process works. I wonder if "any other" trails are on there?

15 minutes ago, cxagent said:

I blame Strava. The worst enemy of the central Texas mountain biker. (said with the serious look of a news reporter citing 'un-named sources' also known as no sources)

I'll do some digging - I'll be quite intrigued if the makers of US topo maps are scraping Strava. Either way, Strava is here to stay, I'm afraid.

52 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'll do some digging - I'll be quite intrigued if the makers of US topo maps are scraping Strava. Either way, Strava is here to stay, I'm afraid.

I'm not picking on strava because there are many ride-recording and sharing apps out there, but the unrestrained recording and posting of detailed routes is nothing good. It comes down to community expectations and discretion. I'm interested in hearing what you find out. Are you going to contact USGS?

5 hours ago, TAF said:

I wonder if "any other" trails are on there?

Other riders will know of more trails than I do, but I didn't find other trails on the US Topo maps (and I have never found GPS tracks for these trails online over 15+ years). I just happened to notice "Buffet" on that snippet of Walnut Creek. I did think it was unusually detailed that they had many of the trail segments in Walnut Creek named.

I looked at both OSM and OSM cycle maps, and neither of those have it.

2 hours ago, TAF said:

Either way, Strava is here to stay, I'm afraid.

If people want to find out if there is trail in a certain spot, they don't NEED Strava to do it.  Lace on a pair of shoes and just walk out there and you'll find the trail if you hike enough.  Strava just makes it easier.  

2 hours ago, fontarin said:

It also shows the route in BCGB itself.  Looks like the one from a few years ago that goes up to get some BBQ and then easily goes up by other side and down the big hill near the dam.  

Edit:  Looks like it goes all the way to City Park and stops there.  Guess whoever the route was scraped from stopped at that point.

Hmmm, that sounds like my last attempt at the EB.  I called for a pick-up after City Park.

Just for reference - I saw the original post and asked the poster to edit to remove the parts that might cause trouble. He did. And I thanked him. (I assume it is a guy.)

Now others have added back the part that is likely to cause trouble. And they should know better.

I have to admit defeat. I give up. Since everybody wants to publicly brag about their rides on trails that may cause trouble - go ahead. I will quit asking anybody to keep trails quiet. Brag away.

I suggest you go ride and post a last ride or two on Slinky. It has already been publicly announced it will be gone soon. Just think - you could have a KOM that will stand forever.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

My wife does GIS so she helped me trace it down.  It looks like it comes from ESRI.  Where they got it from, who knows!

That's pretty helpful - fairly sure I know someone at ESRI.