IGNORED

Hmmm... Only One Popular Trail in TeJas

The list ain't bad. I've been to all 3 places on the list multiple times and they're decent enough choices. I've long said that if/when I move, FRR and RPR will be the only two places I really miss.

Of course "popular" means something different than "best."  I think my list would look like this though:

1 & 2 in no particular order: Flat Rock Ranch & Reveille Peak Ranch. 

3, 4 & 5 in no particular order: BBRSP, Palo Duro & Franklin Mountains. 

Give me the BCGB (back country) or give me death!....  Even though I don't ride it all that frequently, thats the stuff I'd miss the most if I ever left ATX.  There's just so much diversity, challenge and variations (on routes) it's insane.  Not to mention that there is a ton of peripheral stuff around the GB that's non-bike related (town lake, Zilker, Barton Springs Restaurants, etc..). 

Out of these #1 ranked trails in the US list, how many of you (all) ridden?  Me, I've got 5 of them.

Later,
CJB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Out of these #1 ranked trails in the US list, how many of you (all) ridden?  Me, I've got 5 of them

For the top spots I have 6.  Pequonnock (NJ), Blankets (GA), Bootleg (NV), Allegrippis (PA), FRR (TX) and The Whole E (UT). For the whole list, I have 17!

The most surprising thing, not only had I not been to the top 3 in NY, I hadn't even heard of any of them! And just like TX, I rode all over the state when I lived in NY.

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Out of these #1 ranked trails in the US list, how many of you (all) ridden?  Me, I've got 5 of them.

18 of the #1 and about 40 total - although I am counting the Colorado Trail and I have probably ridden maybe half the singletrack over the decades. I did not count the Whole Enchilada since muddy conditions kept us to the lower half or so.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

Only 4 of the #1s - Flat Rock (TX), Angel Fire (NM), Slaughter Pen (AR), Patapsco Valley (MD).  I have ridden a small part of the Co. Trail, but I'm not counting that.

Others from the list - Blowing Springs (AR), South Boundary (NM).

I need to get out more...

2 - Flat Rock & Vultures Knob.  I would have bet no one else had ever ridden Vulture's Knob because it is in a small town in Ohio more than 1-1/2 hours south of Cleveland.  Luckily it is just 5 miles from my Grandmother's house.

28 minutes ago, Manster said:

2 - Flat Rock & Vultures Knob.  I would have bet no one else had ever ridden Vulture's Knob because it is in a small town in Ohio more than 1-1/2 hours south of Cleveland.  Luckily it is just 5 miles from my Grandmother's house.

When I was in college my folks moved to Columbus, I spent a very boring summer there and explored everywhere you could ride within a few hours. I don't recall if it was at all memorable, most of Ohio wasn't.

3 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

When I was in college my folks moved to Columbus, I spent a very boring summer there and explored everywhere you could ride within a few hours. I don't recall if it was at all memorable, most of Ohio wasn't.

If you ever go back or anyone else visits Ohio try Mohician State Park.  It's free, named one of the top 100 trails in the US, 26 mile loop, long sections under the shade of 80' tall hardwoods with a roller coaster feel (espically if you are going fast). 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Manster said:

If you ever go back or anyone else visits Ohio try Mohician State Park.  It's free, named one of the top 100 trails in the US, 26 mile loop, long sections under the shade of 80' tall hardwoods with a roller coaster feel (espically if you are going fast). 

This is on my radar. About 15-20 years ago I somehow decided to ride a trail and collect a pint glass from a brewery in each state. The pint glass piece has required some research and timing in some states. Good/decent trails are thankfully almost everywhere these days. All that remains is Alaska and Ohio. Tons of breweries in OH.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I don't recall if it was at all memorable, most of Ohio wasn't.

I grew up in Akron, OH which was definitely a step up from where I moved from, Detroit, MI. Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, OH was a short distance from both, and probably the highlight of my childhood years. Have never mountain biked in either OH or MI, but from what I've read, MI would be worth a visit for mountain biking in the summer months. 

Edited by throet

MI would be worth a visit for mountain biking in the summer months. 

I think those might be the only months it would be worth visiting MI for most things. I think it’s probably a beautiful place but they do cold like we do heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1