IGNORED

Ohio?

RedRider3141

Shot in the dark since this isn't your usual MTB destination.

I'm taking a business trip that will keep me over the weekend at the end of the month in scenic Chillicothe, OH. There looks like a few trials around the town but the nearest bike rental shop is either Athens or Columbus. Any suggestions? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Born and raised in Ohio and have been traveling and mountain biking all over the country.

There seems tobe some very misleading posts above so I want to give some earnest feedback should anyone ever be in the area.

PENDING THE TRAIL . BE PREPARED TO CLIMB.

prominent trail systems (alum creek & chesnut ridge) both of which with considerable elevation and neither of which would be suitable for beginner level riders. Chestnut ridge even has a full downhill section with doubles , rythems and tabletops.

Outside of Columbus in just about any direction there are some serious, i.e. double black diamond trails. 

Ohio leads into the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and is also where the glasciers stopped. So yes there are some flat areas but also areas you can do bouldering and repelling. Stating Ohio is "pancake flat"  is a bit misleading.  

Google search MTB trails. Throw a dart. Next to obvious places like Colorado Ohio has quite a bit of serious mountain biking and one of my favorite riding areas in the country.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, Teamsloan said:

I have family in Columbus. That place is flat as a pancake and has very little in the way of a mountain bike scene. Lots of good road riding. For anything decent, I think you have to go to Cincinnati or maybe Akron.

• Like 3

Born and raised in Ohio and have been traveling and mountain biking all over the country.
There seems tobe some very misleading posts above so I want to give some earnest feedback should anyone ever be in the area.

prominent trail systems (alum creek & chesnut ridge) both of which with considerable elevation and neither of which would be suitable for beginner level riders. Chestnut ridge even has a full downhill section with doubles , rythems and tabletops.
Outside of Columbus in just about any direction there are some serious, i.e. double black diamond trails. 
Ohio leads into the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and is also where the glasciers stopped. So yes there are some flat areas but also areas you can do bouldering and repelling. Stating Ohio is "pancake flat"  is a bit misleading.  
Google search MTB trails. Throw a dart. Next to obvious places like Colorado Ohio has quite a bit of serious mountain biking and one of my favorite riding areas in the country.

Thank you for this. My reply was more directed at the Columbus metro area. I have looked on Trailforks and MTB project for anything decent in town and couldn’t find squat. I’ll have to check out Chestnut Ridge and Alum Creek the next time I’m up there. I guess I was hoping more for what we have here in Austin with at least 4 major trail systems in the city.

Sorry if my post was misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, quite a bit available, just need to know where to look. Definitely more climbing them we have around here, just a lot less rocks and ledges!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk