IGNORED

Bacon strips vs Stans/Orange sealant

UST tires originally had a heavy layer of extra rubber to make them air tight without the need for any liquid sealants. They were heavier than an equivalent version that wasn't UST. My understanding is that "tubeless ready"/TR tires are less porous but assume that sealant will be used. A compromise between UST and a tire intended for use with a tube.

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

I can see a coating applied by the tire company as eliminating sealant but they have no interest in making your tire last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wondered about this too. It's not about making tires last longer. It would be about eliminating the huge hassle that is tire sealant. If someone came out with a self-sealing tire that worked as well as sealant without the mess and weighed less than a boat anchor, I know I would buy 'em. 

5 minutes ago, notyal said:

I've wondered about this too. It's not about making tires last longer. It would be about eliminating the huge hassle that is tire sealant. If someone came out with a self-sealing tire that worked as well as sealant without the mess and weighed less than a boat anchor, I know I would buy 'em. 

I'd convert today.

I'd propose that they take the tires and immerse them in giant vat of sealant that would fill all the little pores.  Then you just worry about punctures.  For that you could put a thin jelly like substance in there and it would seem like sealant could be totally skipped.  It needs to be fluid enough to move to the hole and fill it but viscous enough to not fall out.  I'm thinking about that funky jelly you get when you put cooked meat in the refrigerator.  Plus it would smell good.

I won't every buy or use a tire that is not sealant compatible but if one was sealant equipped, I'd be all over it.

How is it a hassle ? I always find tubes way more hassle. You still have to seat the tire which I almost always find to a challenge.
Filling is super easy. No flats on the trail, except for the rare gash.
I wouldn't want to pay the inevitable higher cost for a tire just because it is self healing but still wears the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I'd propose that they take the tires and immerse them in giant vat of sealant that would fill all the little pores.  Then you just worry about punctures.  For that you could put a thin jelly like substance in there and it would seem like sealant could be totally skipped.  It needs to be fluid enough to move to the hole and fill it but viscous enough to not fall out.  I'm thinking about that funky jelly you get when you put cooked meat in the refrigerator.  Plus it would smell good.

I won't every buy or use a tire that is not sealant compatible but if one was sealant equipped, I'd be all over it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we are back to turkey jelly! It's been a while.

Anyone have trouble getting bacon strips to stick when the hole is wet with sealant? What is the best technique for loading your strip onto the tool and then pushing it in, twisting etc? I have great luck when I plug a tire that I've allowed to dry at the puncture site but not so great when I try to plug a hole that is wet and that has pressure in the tire. 

9 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

How is it a hassle ? I always find tubes way more hassle. You still have to seat the tire which I almost always find to a challenge.
Filling is super easy. No flats on the trail, except for the rare gash.
I wouldn't want to pay the inevitable higher cost for a tire just because it is self healing but still wears the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Checking sealant levels and refilling every other month, the mess (no one here can say they've never spilled a drop of sealant), the "one more thing I have to buy and keep on hand". Sure, it's not that hard to do any of this, but that's the case with most modern conveniences. We all lived with paper maps before GPS. We all lived with tubes before tubeless. 

I’ve only had to use bacon strips twice. Both times, had trouble with it completely stopping the leak, even with sealant. A little hack that I discovered actually works.... Attach two zip ties end to end and loop around the tire and rim, cinching it down tightly over the bacon plug so it works like a field dress for a battle field bullet wound. It applies pressure to the “wound” preventing air and sealant from leaking out. Of course, you’ll need to cut the excess zip tie or it will slap the frame every rotation of the wheel. Not pretty, but it worked for me and one other rider I encountered at RPR one time. 

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Checking sealant levels and refilling every other month, the mess (no one here can say they've never spilled a drop of sealant), the "one more thing I have to buy and keep on hand". Sure, it's not that hard to do any of this, but that's the case with most modern conveniences. We all lived with paper maps before GPS. We all lived with tubes before tubeless. 

I bought one of these and have had 0 spills since. Its awesome for initial fillings and refills. Just take your core out and fill with desired amount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZB3TVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had great success with the bacon strips, 4 so far. The orange sealant wouldn't stop the leak at all. As far as carrying an extra tube, more times than not, by the time I've carried the extra tube for hundreds of miles it inevitably winds up having a hole from my seat bag or the threads on the valve stem have rubbed a hole in it.
I can imagine in the future only using a bit of sealant to seat a new tire and then only using the strips for punctures.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, csmceuen said:

I bought one of these and have had 0 spills since. Its awesome for initial fillings and refills. Just take your core out and fill with desired amount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZB3TVH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fact that these type of products exist just go to show what a PITA tubeless + sealant is. 

1 minute ago, notyal said:

The fact that these type of products exist just go to show what a PITA tubeless + sealant is. 

Not disagreeing with you there, but it is nice not have to change tubes anymore. I had to help change a tube last week for the first time in probably 5 years and it was not even mine. 

• Like 1

CenTX terrain is brutal on bikes, especially tubes. I find that dealing with the occasional sealant top-off is well worth the freedom to run lower pressures without fear of pinch flats and getting most small punctures sealed before I even know they happened. I have still gotten the rare, occasional flat with tubeless, but the infrequency certainly makes the "hassle" worth not being eaten by mosquitoes while I install a new tube every other ride.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Sealant is not a pain at all compared to tubes.

Had issues with a previous bike that was 'made' tubeless. Didn't work the best. Fast forward a bit, current bike had tubes initially but wheels were tubeless ready. Thought it was going to be a pain, at best. Couldn't have been more wrong. Tires seated easily, sealant fill went well. Added pressure, and they've been good since early March.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OK tubeless experts, I'm thinking I need a sealant refresh, since it's now been about 4 months. I've had zero flats, nor any leaks I'm aware of, other than needing to add a few psi every week or two. For refreshing Orange Sealant Endurance, just put same amount as originally? At what point would you dismount tires to clean out old sealant? Once a year? I've not had issue, but have noticed some occasional stickiness to presta valves. Is there an easy way to 'ream' the valve? Use any thin wire that'll fit to clean before adding sealant? 

Edited by jcarneytx