IGNORED

Bacon strips vs Stans/Orange sealant

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

OK tubeless experts, I'm thinking I need a sealant refresh, since it's now been about 4 months. I've had zero flats, nor any leaks I'm aware of, other than needing to add a few psi every week or two. For refreshing Orange Sealant Endurance, just put same amount as originally? At what point would you dismount tires to clean out old sealant? Once a year? I've not had issue, but have noticed some occasional stickiness to presta valves. Is there an easy way to 'ream' the valve? Use any thin wire that'll fit to clean before adding sealant? 

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm truly impressed that you can get a tire to survive over 1 year of riding here in Texas 🙂

5 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm truly impressed that you can get a tire to survive over 1 year of riding here in Texas 🙂

Only been riding on them since March. Still have the E13s from last year, but really didn't like them for the riding I do. Not the best tires for this terrain. Still have 'em, and they're fine, but wanted something a little more suitable. I ride slowly, so there's that. 

Edited by jcarneytx

I use Stans, not orange and the stems occasionally clog. But I can usually just pick it off the bottom, never had an issue that needed me to clean the whole thing. I do recommend getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Presta-Core-12-Continental/dp/B077L2DXPJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=presta+valve+core&qid=1564399442&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMURDSUVLWExCREhSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY1ODU3VU9YNzc1RTdDRzdIJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjA2MzExU0tFN1JEMDlLSDJLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also, as someone I was riding with this weekend discovered, having a presta stem remover in their pack would be a really good thing. So buy a couple of cheap ones and toss one in your pack.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I use Stans, not orange and the stems occasionally clog. But I can usually just pick it off the bottom, never had an issue that needed me to clean the whole thing. I do recommend getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Presta-Core-12-Continental/dp/B077L2DXPJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=presta+valve+core&qid=1564399442&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMURDSUVLWExCREhSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzY1ODU3VU9YNzc1RTdDRzdIJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjA2MzExU0tFN1JEMDlLSDJLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also, as someone I was riding with this weekend discovered, having a presta stem remover in their pack would be a really good thing. So buy a couple of cheap ones and toss one in your pack.

Nice having the extra valve cores instead of the hassle of cleaning out the stan's plugged ones.

I was actually thinking that the bottom part of the stem might get clogged. Or is it just the valve core that gets that way? I was thinking after removing the core (and I guess replacing), the base part might need some cleaning, maybe a stiff pipe cleaner of some sort? 

Just planning ahead, I suppose. I'll refresh the sealant this weekend and carry on, then look into getting some spare bits.

I was actually thinking that the bottom part of the stem might get clogged. Or is it just the valve core that gets that way? I was thinking after removing the core (and I guess replacing), the base part might need some cleaning, maybe a stiff pipe cleaner of some sort? 
Just planning ahead, I suppose. I'll refresh the sealant this weekend and carry on, then look into getting some spare bits.
I generally find that if I need to clean the stem out , I keep it simple and use a small diameter screwdriver and that's that.
For the valve if it gets gummy I just run under hot water and knock out the cloggy junk. Roll it around my fingers rapidly under the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just yesterday I took a tire off and noticed the hole in the rubber part of the valve was pretty closed off.  Normally I blow air perpendicular to the opening to clean up any sealant before I put the core back on.  I also run a pipe cleaner through it whenever I re-fill the Stan's.

• Like 1