IGNORED

McLeod vs Rogue 7” rake/hoe

4fun

I’m going to buy one of these two. I have noticed that the McLeod is the tool I see in most group trail work days. Does anyone have any experience with the rogue 7” rake hoe? To the casual eye it looks like a better tool.

• Like 1

The regular Rogue Hoe is an awesome and beautiful tool, lightweight, balanced and a true beast, especially when sharpened regularly.   The Rogue people know their stuff and create beautiful tools.  You might want to try out one of the regular Rogue Hoes in the ARR tool inventory.

McLeod?  Heavy, clunky.  There's no art or joy in a McLeod.  

IMO the three crucial tools needed for most trial building are - 

McLeod - great versatile tool - digging, light bench cutting, vegetation removal, moves dirt really well - if you have to pick ONE tool - I would definitely say get a Mcleod

Large Pick Axe - (5lb, fiberglass handle, not wood) - bench cutting, vegetation removal. breaking up/loosening the packed soil

Leaf rake - really really great tool for sifting crap & debris out of dirt, moving dirt, shaping berms, lips, etc. its a finishing tool. makes the trails look really nice and smooth and pretty. I like the leaf rake a ton because you can move or shape dirt on the top without tilling up more dirt underneath what you are scraping. if you're gonna get a leaf rake I suggest a truper or equivalent all-metal rake. even the heavy duty plastic ones break often

beyond that - 1411852196_ScreenShot2019-05-20at6_26_16AM.thumb.png.fc78afeb7f93e8188ff60bcea132c57e.png1132815547_ScreenShot2019-05-20at6_26_53AM.png.afcf41e26aa3c7b21de04608e2e186df.png1376507894_ScreenShot2019-05-20at6_27_18AM.png.58f65c4d22fbf03628a0e21a4d146560.png

chainsaw and leaf blower are my main power tools I use 

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 1

The rogue 7” rake hoe tool looks good, the only reservation I would have is the points on the rake side are squared, normally they are pointed which helps to dig through our rocky soils and still can be used as a rake. The squared points might make it difficult to dig with.

• Like 1