IGNORED

So I Took a Walk Through BSS...

...a couple days ago.

Wow!

It's one thing to see new bikes in videos and online... But up close and personal... You can see these are seriously engineered machines.

And the finishes... Gloss, matte... Even translucent.

And speaking to one of the sales persons about the e-bikes... He said they are selling them by the dozens.

Edited by RidingAgain

I avoid that store. It's like being a kid Ina candy store, but all the candy is really expensive! Fun to see all the new stuff though, and remember that I have a bike at home that is way cooler, because it's mine.

Clarification on e-bikes: are they selling dozens of commuter e-bikes, or e-mtbs? I am all for e-bikes for transportation, but I don't see e-mtbs on the trails yet. If I do, I'll be sure to point and laugh.

• Like 4

My impression is that they're selling tons of commuter bikes.  I went to the Guadalupe store for a shop ride and there were 12 people waiting to go on a hosted e-bike ride (rental Comos and Vados).  Those are a lot cheaper than the e-MTB bikes.  I'm thinking about one of those for myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I am all for e-bikes for transportation, but I don't see e-mtbs on the trails yet. If I do, I'll be sure to point and laugh.

I saw one on the pumptrack at Walnut a while back, I was so confused and perplexed I had no words. Not sure if it was a rental or their bike because they left right after I got there, but they are on the trails.  Walnut in itself is a strange choice, but the pumptrack?

Death to e-bikes!  Seriously though there is a place for them. I haven't ridden one, but I think they could be a lot of fun.  Can imagine passing some roadies on a hill climb would be great.  Hans Rey likes them so there's that.

RA, those are some sweet looking rides, wish I could afford a Yeti, so pretty!

Edited by rockshins
  • Like 1

I was stopped at Swag Rock on Deception when up rolled a guy on an e-mtb. He was very proud of himself because it was the first time he had finished the 1st half of  Deception (1/4 Notch) without having to stop 😂 Really, did you really finish it, or did you get a little help? He was a young guy and seemingly able-bodied. I could see no reason for him to be on an e-bike other than he wasn't fit enough to complete a 20-minute ride. I guess he won't ever be fit enough if he keeps riding that. 

I don't mind e-bikes but wouldn't want it to be my only bike for sure.  Rather just when I want an easy day but still do a MTB ride on technical trail.

I see them more having a place for those who have been injured and still want to ride with their friends/significant others.  Can't train because of some issue like foot, knee, or back but still want to ride with friends and not slow them down?   That's kind of where I see e-bikes being best.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I think these were the two that really stood out for me...

Which one did you end up with? Seriously I've bought 2 of my 4 bikes from BSS on clearance, both Trek Remedy models. BSS is the bomb for impulse buyers like myself! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

Which one did you end up with? Seriously I've bought 2 of my 4 bikes from BSS on clearance, both Trek Remedy models. BSS is the bomb for impulse buyers like myself! 

None... I don't have the financial ability to spend that kind of money. But they sure looked worth it.

On another note...

ATXZJ...

Is it just normal for you to laugh at someone who, though appreciating the product, can't afford to buy a mountain bike for thousands of dollars?

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

ATXZJ...

Is it just normal for you to laugh at someone who, though appreciating the product, can't afford to buy a mountain bike for thousands of dollars?

I laugh at things I find funny. 

Edited by ATXZJ

12 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

None... I don't have the financial ability to spend that kind of money. But they sure looked worth it.

Can't speak for the Yeti, but Trek does seem to have remained somewhat competitive on their pricing. That one looks like the 2019 Remedy, which in the 9.8 model comes with carbon frame / rims and a decent spec for $5500. Wait for it to go on closeout, and you get that same bike for $4500. I got my 2018 for $4K but would have gladly spent the extra $500 for carbon rims if I had that option. Already spent $200 replacing an alloy rim and having the wheel rebuilt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheX said:

Be careful, you might make him delete this thread like he did the one about the boxes.

And here again we have Mr. 'ol man ignore... Welll... Not ignoring.

And BTW... I didn't delete the thread on boxes.

Edited by RidingAgain