IGNORED

Has anyone ever snapped a rear shock in half?

Angekfire 2019 season opener- Awesome.

the trails, so good

my DH bike, not so good.

Look at this shit! Landed off a jump and heard a loud snap. Thought I broke my frame and looked down to the shock just hanging in two piece. 2018 (new warranty replacement last August) Fox RC4 coil with 500lb spring. The Kashima inner shaft snapped in half! 🙄😳

9B8A7FD4-862F-431C-9E29-9DD76575CF42.jpeg

5315247D-5C40-46C0-8A31-CEA7C5C81EFC.jpeg

15011056-9DA7-49E3-A2D9-826104BC5AEB.jpeg

Edited by Seths Pool

Just spoke to pivot- 

“Bikes with a suspension yoke - aka “wishbone linkage”, particularly the longer travel bikes such as the Pheonix DH bike and firebird are not recommended for coil shocks as the yoke puts heavy loads laterally on the rear shock which can cause failure”

apparently it’s a “blurb” mentioned somewhere on their website. I haven’t looked for that statement yet though.

So a big heads up for any of you running a coil on your bikes with a yoke/wishbone linkage system.

I’m assuming this applies to bikes with simlar linkage designs outside of the pivot brand 

Just now, Seths Pool said:

Just spoke to pivot- 

“Bikes with a suspension yoke - aka “wishbone linkage”, particularly the longer travel bikes such as the Pheonix DH bike and firebird are not recommended for coil shocks as the yoke puts heavy loads laterally on the rear shock which can cause failure”

apparently it’s a “blurb” mentioned somewhere on their website. I haven’t looked for that statement yet though.

So a big heads up for any of you running a coil on your bikes with a yoke/wishbone linkage system.

I’m assuming this applies to bikes with simlar linkage designs outside of the pivot brand 

If that blurb is not there, you can be dam sure their working fast to put it up on the website 🙂 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Which part was Pivot expecting to fail in this scenario: the shock or the frame?

I read it to mean that the shock would fail which is exactly what happened.  What I don't totally understand is why it wouldn't also destroy an air shock?  The same lateral loads exist but is the air shock just supposed to absorb these loads differently?  

Also, not recommending a coil shock on a DH bike sounds like BS.   Is this just saying that no one should be running coil shocks on bikes with a suspension involving a yoke?

Edited by Tree Magnet

52 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Which part was Pivot expecting to fail in this scenario: the shock or the frame?

the shock

42 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I read it to mean that the shock would fail which is exactly what happened.  What I don't totally understand is why it wouldn't also destroy an air shock?  The same lateral loads exist but is the air shock just supposed to absorb these loads differently?  

Also, not recommending a coil shock on a DH bike sounds like BS.   Is this just saying that no one should be running coil shocks on bikes with a suspension involving a yoke?

so the main shaft of a coil shock is a metal rod about 1/2" in diameter.  essentially, the lateral rigidity and structural integrity all depends on that little shaft. that 1/2" diameter shaft isnt going to dissipate lateral loads and forces as well as the air shaft of an X2 air shock which is probably 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter.

I just thought these bike manufacturers and engineers would be making these frames and linkages to provide all the stiffness independently from the shock being involved to help with stiffness.. since thats not why the shock is there.  but that do I know.

apparently this also voids the fox warranty. 

but I am now seeing that this is on their website - 

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 1.18.08 PM.png

Not only are many frames not designed to protect the shock from loads like this, but many have leverage ratios that are not designed for the linear spring rate of a coil and will actually blow through the travel too quickly. Some frame manufacturers are responding to the increasing trend of coil shocks and designing bikes with leverage ratios that will work for them or air shocks.

Sorry you found out about all this the hard way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kona offered a coil for the yoke driven linkage on the 167 when it was first released. They also dropped it the following year. I have only read of one guy breaking a coil the same as Seth on the 167, and it was an xfusion.  That design does sideload a bit as even the airshocks seemed to have seal issues.

167.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

• 3 weeks later...