IGNORED

I'm so ghetto.......

Bamwa

that I shim my quick release (that's right) rear axle with scissor-cut bean can lid folded spacers to keep the wheel from being too close to either seat (or chain) stay,whatever.

that my five year old bald crossmarks are more exposed threads than black rubber.

that the large ring on my 3x9 has roughly the same amount of teeth missing as bartman's grandma.

that my dropper post cable loosely spirals around my downtube without zip-ties or any other bullshit.

that one clipless pedal has been broken for over a year but I just switched to  Five Tens.

anyone else?

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bamwa said:

that one clipless pedal has been broken for over a year but I just switched to  Five Tens.

Ain't you got no baling wire in yo' house? Worked for me for about four months until I finally broke down and got un-ghetto and bought some replacements.

anyone else?

I use headset spacers cut from old bent frames.

I have a small 8ish mm lift block on my Shimano Shadow+ RD pinch screw to change the pull ratio so I can run a SRAM 9spd shifter on one of my bikes.

I make my own tubeless valves stems by cutting them out of old tubes.

I use gorilla tape for tubless instead of Stans. I used to make my own sealant too, but I got lazy.

I broke a Maxle lever, so I put an allen bolt through the rivet hole and use a wrench to tighten it.

I cut SS cog spacers from pvc pipe.

I hammered pvc fittings into some of my handlebars to widen them 10-20mm.

That's just off the top of my head for recent years... whatever works, IMO.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2

Homemade tubeless sealant

I cut valves from old tubes and wrap as much teflon tape around them as possible. (Might start a new thread about how much I love teflon tape)

I use wine corks as bar plugs. (got sick of losing the plastic ESI ones)

I use gorilla glue and patches cut from old tubes to repair tires with small sidewall tears. 

I've used everything from 3M insulated mastic electrical tape to used tubes and tires for frame protection.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheX said:

I ride a 1 year old bike with a 60 year old body.

Now why would anyone go and do something like that...?

I use wine corks as bar plugs. (got sick of losing the plastic ESI ones)

Genius! Now I have an excuse to drink more wine...

Edited by gotdurt

Dang RA might win this! ^ And Layton, not seeing that in the park tool catalog.

......my squeaky horn is taped together.

.....I wash my bike with dirt.

.....I've got athletic tape on my grip shifts so my hands don't get all gummy.

......I found my water bottle in the bathroom at walnut.

......my saddle is so torn I just color the foam w/ sharpie.

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 2

Ordered the wrong size seat post clamp - spent 2 years with a beer can shim to make it work.

After an especially bad day of shifting on my 3x front derailleur, decided to go 1x.  Removed the front derailleur but never got any further.  Now I have to manually shift to the granny gear.

Haven't bought a new bike since 2005 - I'm on my fourth replacement frame and all the bits have been replaced at least twice, but technically I bought the bike in 2005.

• Like 2

I've used aluminum can as a shim on my 2011(?) Rockshox Reba Race I bought from ebay. Apparently there was a year where the lowers were slightly mis-cast and had a slight cant to them. IF I were using skinny race tires I probably wouldn't notice but with a very knobby tire and a hard turn, the knobs rub on the inside. 

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

I've used aluminum can as a shim on my 2011(?) Rockshox Reba Race I bought from ebay. Apparently there was a year where the lowers were slightly mis-cast and had a slight cant to them. IF I were using skinny race tires I probably wouldn't notice but with a very knobby tire and a hard turn, the knobs rub on the inside. 

So you're saying you used a can to fix a cast-caused cant conundrum?

-cls

• Like 1