IGNORED

So, my brother is getting the MTB bug…

45 minutes ago, Nando said:

So, my brother is getting the MTB bug, has no clue where to begin (or even if his knee will tolerate it). He's out in Victorville, CA, and works with a group of locals that ride. One of the locals is selling his 2015 Scott Spark 920 for $600. I think he should take it.

What do you think?

sounds like a great deal if its the right size!

• Like 1

I think he should ask the guy if he can take it for an extended ride first. I think that the seller would do that for someone that is sort of connected to the group of mtbers. Your brother needs to know if the bike fits, but more importantly, can his knee take it or not. It would be bad to buy a bike then decide, "nope, can't do it."

• Like 1

Spitting distance from Big Bear!  if the suspension & drivetrain is in decent shape that's pretty cheap for a 120 f/r bike.  I'd definitely expect to spend money on maybe rings or cassette on 4 yr old bike. He's going to want something REAL mountain capable in that area.  I'd think a lower end hardtail would be fairly discouraging. 

• Like 1

Assuming fit of course, that Spark should be a good starter. He'll figure out if he likes it and can handle it soon enough. When/if he wants to upgrade/move on to something else, you know where to point him to.

*make sure he checks the frame for cracks. But Scott carbon in my experience has held up well.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1

He's definitely going for  a spin or two first. I mean, these are the same people he works with and will be riding with. I emphasized it has to fit properly and how to figure that out, or take it to the LBS.

Thanks guys.

Having some experience with knee injuries, the Orthos have all endorsed bicycle riding as being the BEST thing I can do to keep the joints lubed, muscles strong and things working well. Depending upon his knee problem, riding will most likely be a relief more than an issue.

Sounds like he's in a group that will get him set up with frame size, fit, etc.

So, how long do you estimate before you can get him to ATX on a bike and punish him on the local trails with a little sibling rivalry and home court advantage? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

beat me to it

It's not often that I am faster than other people 😉

Also, Nando, make sure that he budgets a few hundred for component upgrades. Trust me, there will be things that will need to be replaced soon. You have a big enough network here that if he needs parts we can probably help out on some of them, but he needs to know that $600 is just to get into the show and the concession stand can get expensive 😉 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:15 AM, Ridenfool said:

So, how long do you estimate before you can get him to ATX on a bike and punish him on the local trails with a little sibling rivalry and home court advantage? :classic_biggrin:

You must mean “how long before you go ride the California mountains?”

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 11:34 AM, AustinBike said:

Also, Nando, make sure that he budgets a few hundred for component upgrades. Trust me, there will be things that will need to be replaced soon. You have a big enough network here that if he needs parts we can probably help out on some of them, but he needs to know that $600 is just to get into the show and the concession stand can get expensive 😉 

Yes, he’s been advised.  That bike could use a sit dropper. With 1x shortly after that.  Funds should not be an issue, but he is getting used to the idea of how much these things cost. Baby brother steps.

6 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

PNW Components for the win, unless $$ is no issue then go BikeYoke Revive. 😄

FWIW, several of the posts that PNW offers are often available from Chain Reaction or their sister site Wiggle.com, on sale as "Brand-X" for about $125

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=dropper&f=4294967079

https://www.wiggle.com/dropper-seats-posts/?ea=4294554479

I am not 100% sure that Brand X is actually made by PNW, the numbers don't seem right (if they are made in Seattle it id doubtful that they could sell the exact same product in the UK at a much lower price....)

What I really LOVE about PNW is their support. 3 year warranty. When I broke mine (and I literally mean that I BROKE mine) trying to service it, they sent one out second day air so I would have it in time for the BCGB death march. They have awesome support. Not sure you can get a Brand X replaced that quick due to customs and international shipping. Also, Brand X has a 2 year warranty and PNW is 3 years.

I've seen the same post flying at least four different brand names. Brand-X, TranzX, PNW, and, Performance Bike had it on the shelf in Austin under their house brand.

Compare the physical appearance, the little identifying bits and pieces and it is highly likely these are the same product with different labels.

A quick search turned this up ... https://stravaigingmtb.com/2017/11/27/so-who-the-hell-made-this-dropper-post/

41 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

I've seen the same post flying at least four different brand names. Brand-X, TranzX, PNW, and, Performance Bike had it on the shelf in Austin under their house brand.

Compare the physical appearance, the little identifying bits and pieces and it is highly likely these are the same product with different labels.

A quick search turned this up ... https://stravaigingmtb.com/2017/11/27/so-who-the-hell-made-this-dropper-post/

You may be on to something, but no one else has the cool etching on the collar like PNW. And their Loam Lever is their own, and perfect.

I'm with Austinbike on the customer service. They treated me very well when I ran in to some fit/installation issues with my post. Very quick to respond and went out of their way to make it right.

• Like 1

Yeah, I did have issues installing and using the Brand-X lever, and this was mentioned in several reviews prior to purchase. Though this one is vastly improved over the previous, I may go looking for another lever like the Loam some day.

Paying a little more for an easy to use customer service channel is certainly worth something. I'd probably buy another post before trying to do a return across the pond. Fortunately, these seem to be quite well reviewed and known for their durability.

Edited by Ridenfool

Yeah, there are OEM posts and OEM designs, so it is possible that multiple manufacturers are either rebadging an OEM product or creating their product from a licensed OEM design. I am pretty sure that PNW makes their own products (from my conversations with them) so they may be using some of the third party designs for a time to market advantage.

Their website says: 

3. We buy direct. I'm sure you've heard all those sleazy diamond commercials over the years "BUY DIRECT AND SAVE". Well, while we don't agree with their delivery of that message, there is something to say for not going through many layers of middlemen. We get our parts directly from manufacturers, don't have a large staff and focus on online marketing. This strategy changes the way most brands do business and is similar to how many brands in other industries have been successfully doing things for years.

So they clearly OEM some (if not all) of the parts. Just like how an iPhone is made, basically.

It really comes down to 2 things: how well you manage your supply chain and how well you manage your service.

2 companies can OEM the same product and end up with different experiences because one has tougher engineering tolerances and will reject too many for being out of spec. They would tend to have higher prices. They would also be more confident in doing returns. So even if they are the same as Brand X (i.e. bought the same OEM design) they COULD be better. Brand X could have lower tolerances and thus get a better overall price (and be less willing to go with a longer warranty knowing that there is a greater probability for failure down the road.)

Quality, features and price, pick any two. Not saying Brand X is a bad product, just that it is HIGHLY unlikely that PNW ever touched their stuff. PNW just isn't large enough to do that.

• Like 1

That all makes perfect sense regarding how many supply chains can work.

The purchase decision was based on the number of independent reviews I was able to find. Brand-X had a lot more. Mostly of EU MTB product reviewers from magazines and websites, and there was mention in some of the reviews how the same product is marketed under a number of brands. PNW has great reviews too, but not nearly as many as did Brand-X at the time I was shopping for a dropper. The sheer volume of positive reviews over long term evaluations by EU MTB professionals and consumers, along with the low price, tilted my purchase decision toward ChainReaction/Wiggle.com.

Well, that, and it is kinda cool buying something from England while getting the lowest price, free shipping, and reasonably quick delivery from a company that also has a great rep for customer service.

No matter where you buy it, this seems to be a very dependable dropper that all but the weight-weinies will love for long time.