IGNORED

Gravel bike at Walnut

TheX

So I took the new to me Kona Private Jake out to Walnut today. Did ~11 miles, and crashed twice. I remember why I have a full suspension bike now. It was a lot of fun but I had to unlearn a lot of my lines. Windy was interesting to say the least, and severe tried to OTB me in a couple places.  I need to try it with less pressure in the tires also. 

All in all it was a really fun day, but I prefer my Scalpel out there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheX said:

So I took the new to me Kona Private Jake out to Walnut today. Did ~11 miles, and crashed twice. I remember why I have a full suspension bike now. It was a lot of fun but I had to unlearn a lot of my lines. Windy was interesting to say the least, and severe tried to OTB me in a couple places.  I need to try it with less pressure in the tires also. 

All in all it was a really fun day, but I prefer my Scalpel out there.

Glad you made it out okay and i have to give you props for hitting a mtb trail the first time out. You are definitely right about having to learn new lines. That bike taught me a lot about picking lines and staying committed to them. It can be a little intimidating at first but youll be a better/faster rider on your MTB because of it. Also glad to hear its still solid as a rock;)

IMHO, 2 wheel drifting in gravel was one of the funnest and scariest things i used to do on that bike.

I have a Specialied Crux cross bike I rode once at Walnut Creek several years ago.  Was fun, but you certainly are considerably more mindful of the lines you're riding.  I think I even went up the stair step climb next to the (old) power line trail.  It's a very light bike compared to my mountain bike, but with no suspension you feel everything.  I should bring it out there again.  

I have not ridden a CX at Walnut, but I have explored a lot of SATN on a CX bike. Some of the trails are fun and just challenging enough, but those little tires just don't do well in the chunk.

I'll bet there's a fun, challenging loop in there that can be done on skinny tires but you need to know the trails well enough, which I don't.

The other thing I like about riding a CX bike is that you can link together road and trails. If the trail gets too chunky, it's a CX bike, so you can shoulder and hike it.

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

The other thing I like about riding a CX bike is that you can link together road and trails. If the trail gets too chunky, it's a CX bike, so you can shoulder and hike it.

You can do this on a mountain bike as well, but don't have to shoulder the mountain bike for the chunky stuff.  😉

True, but, factually speaking, riding a mountain bike on the road sucks ballz. I would choose the CX bike if I am going to spend more than 50% of the time on roads and bike paths. I have to routes that cicumnavigate the whole city that are super fun on curvy bars and skinny tires and include quite a bit of dirt.

I don't mind riding my mountain bike on the road, at least if I am using the road to connect various dirt trails together.  I've done some pretty long rides on the mountain bike.  Do wish I could lock out my shock, though.  That will be a requirement for my next bike.  I'm sure the road portions would be considerably faster on the CX bike, but that bike isn't as comfortable for me to ride as my mountain bike.  Not because of the squishy suspension on the mountain bike, but don't like curved bars very much. 

3 minutes ago, TheX said:

I might take this bike out to Brushy for a day, but it's not going to be a regular occurrence. It's a CX bike, and it has it's place.

I'd like to hear how that goes.  Haven't gone out to Brushy on a CX, but may try it sometime.  I'd probably ride most everything but Deception, as that would be grueling on a CX bike.  I'd likely walk one or two sections of Gnargasm as well, as I don't really have any desire to fall off that cliff.  😄 But Picnic, Drop, Snow White, Caddyshack, Peddler's Pass, Mulligan, Picnic, Rim Job, and Snail would all be fair game.  😄

The jake has been into brushy including some of deception. It does really well on picnic, peddlers, and carcass. Can be a PITA in some of mulligan and some definite oh sh@t moments in that loose shale stuff on the turns in deception. 

The steps/ledges arent too bad in SC as long as you're clipped in and can Lenosky up them. Inadvertently ended up racing some lycra dude on a mtb in slaughter creek who unsuccessfully tried to pass in a corner without saying anything beforehand. Held him for more than he would've liked to admit and longer than my nerves /fitness could withstand;)

Those bikes can be dumb fun for sure

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I'm sure the road portions would be considerably faster on the CX bike, but that bike isn't as comfortable for me to ride as my mountain bike.  Not because of the squishy suspension on the mountain bike, but don't like curved bars very much. 

Some people never learn to appreciate drop bars, but most who don't have never ridden a drop bar bike that is set up to fit them properly.

• Like 1

That may be true, before getting this bike a few years ago, I hadn't ridden drop bars since I was probably a teenager.  I'd be a bit happier with it if I had brake levers I could use when my hands are on the flat part of the bar.  Or I could stick a straight handlebar on it.  😄 

..Al

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

That may be true, before getting this bike a few years ago, I hadn't ridden drop bars since I was probably a teenager.  I'd be a bit happier with it if I had brake levers I could use when my hands are on the flat part of the bar.  Or I could stick a straight handlebar on it.  😄 

..Al

1437453118189-1hwzrkcrhgvk3-960-540.jpg

Kind of weird seeing brake levers like that on a drop bar.  But that's definitely what I need.  I remember brake levers on that portion of the drop bar being parallel with the bar itself and a bit longer.  How difficult is it to add these after the fact? 

..Al

If you need interrupter levers because you can't stand riding on the hoods and drops, your frame and stem are too low or too long or both. Those levers can be useful in some situations but if you need them, that's a bike fit issue. There's no point in riding a bike with drop bars if you can't ride in the drops at least half of the time.

If you know how to install and adjust regular brake cables, installing them is a breeze. You don't even have to unwrap the bar tape.

Edited by mack_turtle

I don't need them, I usually have my hands on the hoods.  I don't use the drops very often.  But when you're coasting down a hill or you're not on demanding terrain, I sometimes have my hands on the horizontal portion of the bars.  It would be nice to have the option of braking without having to move my hands.  

4 hours ago, TheX said:

I might take this bike out to Brushy for a day, but it's not going to be a regular occurrence. It's a CX bike, and it has it's place.

Talk to Morealice on Mojo. He did Brushy for a while with a CX bike as he was on spousal bike buying restriction. He used to blow by me with drop bars on Deception proper before I met him in person.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheX said:

Pick and choose your trail sections wisely and it's all good.  

Ride my rigid 29 to Brushy via roads/granite/dirt then roll whatever parts of brushy that my old ass feeling that day.

• Like 1

Funny , I have been toying with putting drops on my Ventana SS.  I've ridden Brushy before with drops on another bike and it was fun as heck. Cru was scary as ballz though and that was bfore it became all sketchy like it is now

I didnt even know dirt droppers were a thing until I started reading this past weekend