IGNORED

Need help with a Frankenstein experiment

ISO: 27.5 front wheel/tire to borrow for a test fit. Must have 15mm axle (Non-boost 100mm spacing). I could even make do without a tire. 

I want to see if I can put my 26r Talas from my FS on my HT. I already know that I can just move the whole sh'bang over but I want to see if I can do it with a 27.5 wheel/tire combo. Internets say probably/maybe. 

Don't judge, sometimes I just need to see it fail to give up on an idea. 

image.png.9664b9411034fc0fba746a8b6571df1a.png

Edited by RedRider3141

I'm all into frankenstein (have a 27.5 wheel on my 26er frame!).  You can borrow mine.  It is 27.5, 15x100 axle, 2.40 tire (with tube, so easy to swap out for smaller to try it out).

I'm going to R&I tonight, but can be available tomorrow.  Work in Georgetown/RR area, live in CedarPark/Lakeline area.

• Like 1

I think a 27.5 on a 26r frame or 29 on a 27.5, is a pretty good idea.

Thanks @Shinerider. I won't be at R&I tonight but I live right in the middle of your commute. I'll PM you and see if we can't find an easy meetup location. 

As far as progress, I ended up swapping forks/wheels last night after measuring the crown to axle which was close enough for me. Unfortunately, I need to figure out my bearing cups because the 26" fork didn't assemble right, it's too tight when clamping the star nut. the 26" frame uses sealed bearings and the 27.5 uses loose bearings. It was enough for me to sit on it, but no way to trail ride it for now.  

1 hour ago, Shinerider said:

I'm all into frankenstein (have a 27.5 wheel on my 26er frame!).  You can borrow mine.  It is 27.5, 15x100 axle, 2.40 tire (with tube, so easy to swap out for smaller to try it out).

I'm going to R&I tonight, but can be available tomorrow.  Work in Georgetown/RR area, live in CedarPark/Lakeline area.

RedRider, you should have just PM'd this guy ^

Frankenbike projects are his bread and butter.

Edited by Teamsloan
  • Like 1

So here's the results, a big thank you to @Shinerider for loaning a front wheel. 

What is it?: Probably a mistake and hopefully temporary

What Did I do: I put my 26r 2012 Fox Talas (150/130/110) from my FS on my 27.5" HT in place of the original 100mm RockShox TK Silver

Why: I wanted to experiment with a long travel HT and/or a 130mm fork on my current HT. 

Results: Good so far, other than my steerer tube being WAY too long for the frame. I'm going to try on the trail soon hopefully. Side Note, the 27.5 wheel fit just fine on the 26" fork, even with the mudguard. 

image.thumb.png.9425ca973bd134868d8e4d4cced9e503.png