IGNORED

Serendipity Bike Build

Some random moments just occurred when reworking my Pivot.

So, here goes:

A crack (or potential of one) was found on my rear triangle during a rebuild.  I've been riding it (including twice to Spider Mtn) for several weeks.  On one of those rides, someone (Smitty) mentioned that he had one of those rear triangles laying around from when his front triangle broke on his Pivot.  He offered it up and after trading emails, I finally was able to get it (with additional help from another buddy).  I opened the box with elation, with bike in the stand, ready for a full rear suspension rebuild.  But, I immediately noticed something wrong - the new one was 15x142 thru axle (he even included the axle - thanks Smitty!) and my bike is 9x130 (yes, I know, but it is FIRST gen pivot 429 - so sue me!).  Look at my hubs and realize they are DTSwiss and know that they are notoriously "configurable" with spacers.  Frantic texts to friends who know more compatibility to me on what to buy while I start tearing into the hubs.......Shit.  They are older gen BEFORE they started making them upgradable.  There is a solid steel axle pressed into the bearings.  Can't convert and there is no path to upgrade........I install the rear triangle just to see if I can even move forward since it is at least one generation newer rear end.  Wow, everything lines up perfectly!  Pivot even flipped the pivot axle that used to be blocked from removal by the chainring to the other side, but kept the spacing/pivot bolt the same!  Good on them!

Start surfing Craigslist for 12x100, 15x142 29er wheelset CHEAP.  Found a set and emailed the person.  While drowning my sorrows with another IPA - I happen to glance up to my rack of wheels for projects and what do I see!  A wheelset!  With Shimano hubs and WTB rims (so not janky at all!).  Pull them down and throw them into the rear triangle and they are wobbly as hell.  Realize it's because it's missing a spoke or two.  So, I go over to my pile of spokes for projects, pull out a black one that looks right and proceed to rebuild the wheel.  Using the rear triangle as guide - retrue and retension.  Move drivetrain/rotor over to new wheel and reset as tubeless (had to remove the tape to respoke).   As I retaped, it used all but the last 1" of tape I had on hand (whew - almost couldn't get it finished!).  After pulling all pivots and clean, lube, rebuild the entire rear end.

So.  That is done, and I look a the mis-matched wheelset and decide - this just cannot be (and I can potentially sell the DTSwiss set - yeah, like I would sell any of my bike parts!).  Grab the front wheel and realize it is 6 bolt caliper and the DT's are centerlock.  Shit.  Time to dig thru my pile of rotors for projects.  I find a 6 bolt that looks like the same rotor pattern as the back so it doesn't look weird.  But, it's 185 dia vs. the 160 I just removed.  Shit.  Time to dig into my bin of random spacers and pray.  Holey crap!  I have one of those!  Install new rotor, install spacer for front brake, and viola! 

I have a running bike again!

And the rear end and front brake just jumped at least one generation!  And if you know me, that is no small feat.

So, tell us your "it all just somehow worked out" story!

• Like 6

My example...I have 9spd and 10spd stuff I wasn't using.  Shoot, I have that whole BMC Fourstroke03 that I need to get to you.  I wasn't doing anything with it, and the resale on it is crap...but my son was riding his Specialized Hardrock (30lbs) well but he's pretty skinny.  So I figured I'll take parts from everywheree and lighten up his bike.  I had a 680mm carbon bar, too many stems, The LX crankset with e-thirteen bashguard from the BMC, the 9spd rear from the BMC, but my problem was the BMC's rear hub was shot.  So I looked at all my spokes and rims, I had a Hope rear hub, and I couldn't find the right combination to work.  I ended up having to order a new rim (try finding a rim brake 26" MTB tubeless compatible rim these days...pretty narrow selection if any at all).  I was an idiot though, I should have taken the front wheel's rim (Stan's ZTR) to build the new rear wheel, and just ordered a new disk-only front rim.  Mini-wookie is riding this bike now so I hope she's enjoying it but it still bothers me I had to order that new rear rim and spokes!

Edit:  That Hardrock did not have a place for a rear disk caliper mount so I had to keep the rear rim brake, but the BMC had a Manitou 7 fork and Shimano hydraulic disk setup.

I took 5lbs off that bike!

Edited by AntonioGG
forgot key information
  • Like 1