IGNORED

What 2 old trail builders do when it’s 100+ outside

Yes a giant of a Pecan tree that had the misfortune of growing in a boggy, sandy spot which all the recent rains had saturated.

When the Big Blow of 2019 came through that huge amount of sail area it had so magnificently grown became quite literally its downfall.

It will continue in the cycle of life helping make great barbeque and other worthwhile purposes for many years to come.

• Like 2

Our intent was to clear the pine limbs and others that were right around the house. We knocked most of that out and set our sights on beautiful pecan smoking wood and some big chunks for my father-in-law to work his woodworking magic on. Good news: Ridenfool’s house and TMW-approved grill was saved and now accessible. Best news: hanging out with and helping a great friend I made through mountain biking. 

• Like 3

Finished the rest up today, got the neighbor's mess cleaned up as well. Piled it all up on a burn stack that was wonderous in its height and lit it a little after noon. It will be burning for days. I'm wore out and looking forward to soaking up some AC for the rest of the evening.

Still got to deal with the replacement roof on the shop. At this point I might just hire it out to get it done before the next rain.

Spicewookie and Ridenfool, Hope y'all are riding out this current storm and are staying safe and dry!  We're kind of between two huge cells  here in north Austin and it's still bad.  There was a warning of straight-line winds, rotation spotted on radar in the Lago Vista/Spicewood area; Smithville looks to be getting slammed as well. 

To add to the trailbuilding aspect, a McCloud is a handy tool for fire tending. I made a few trips out last night and this morning to drag logs and push coals, getting everything to burn completely.  Last night before heading to bed there was 3/100's of an inch on the rain gauge at the house. Just enough to let me sleep a little more soundly without worry of the pasture catching fire.

If it were a trail it would be hero ash today as the last few large pieces burn.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, June Bug said:

Spicewookie and Ridenfool, Hope y'all are riding out this current storm and are staying safe and dry!  We're kind of between two huge cells  here in north Austin and it's still bad.  There was a warning of straight-line winds, rotation spotted on radar in the Lago Vista/Spicewood area; Smithville looks to be getting slammed as well. 

+1  I was thinking of them also as we were watching the news.

17 hours ago, June Bug said:

We rode it out OK in the 'wood.

4 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

To add to the trailbuilding aspect, a McCloud is a handy tool for fire tending. I made a few trips out last night and this morning to drag logs and push coals, getting everything to burn completely.  Last night before heading to bed there was 3/100's of an inch on the rain gauge at the house. Just enough to let me sleep a little more soundly without worry of the pasture catching fire.

If it were a trail it would be hero ash today as the last few large pieces burn.

It was a fire tool before it was a trail tool.

• Like 1