IGNORED

Alexandera Houchin + Tour Divide

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

I'll be honest and say that I'm amazed at these athletes but I have zero interest in doing something like this myself. A five day trip with gear to make hot coffee and have a warm meal each night? That sounds like a blast. But 2700 miles is a loooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

And not one of those rigs has a cooler strapped on for beer. They call that mountain biking? sheez.

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

I'll be honest and say that I'm amazed at these athletes but I have zero interest in doing something like this myself. A five day trip with gear to make hot coffee and have a warm meal each night? That sounds like a blast. But 2700 miles is a loooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Armchair mountain biking definitely has its place. 

2 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

My wife and I did the MS150 years ago and thought we were badass with the 185 mile total for the weekend.

These racers are doing that every day for two weeks. It's awesome how good these riders are.

• Like 1

We have some local TD celebrities right here in Central Texas. The Sheila’s have both completed it, as has Billy Rice and his (then) 16 year old daughter, from over in College Station. In fact, if memory serves, Billy and Lena completed the Sobo on a tandem, and I think he then turned around and went back Nobo on his own. Our very own Hoss from Austin is planning to ride it in 2020. So plenty of blue dot tracking to come!

• Like 1

I was doing a social ride with friends on the Drippin' Loop last year and we ran into a guy on a fattish bike fully decked out for bike touring.  It was Dr. Mike McElveen, Payson McElveen's dad, doing a training ride for the Tour Divide.  I don't think he did it last year, but did complete the Tour Divide route in 2013 (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=12850

Also, Don Schwieters (60+ Cat 1 TMBRA racers), who lives just north of Walnut Creek and rides there almost daily, completed the Tour Divide race in 2016.  He also has completed the AZ Trail race. 

• Like 1

It's heating up! Will Josh Kato pass Sofiane? Will either of them even stop in Steamboat or Salida? Looks like Lael Wilcox is ahead of the record set by her, and Alexandera is hot on her heels. Shame there's no live video feed!

The interesting thing is to see what each one had as a target to finish.  Sofiane's target was 15 days vs Wilcox and Kato's target of 14 days.  There are some 16 day people ahead of Wilcox.  Did some burn some matches too early?  Or are they just feeling pretty good?  Seems like the 2nd half southbound is the hardest by looking at the elevation profile, but I don't know for sure.

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

Sofiane has come off the throttle a good bit it seems. Kato has tons of experience out there. He’s been pretty steady. 

Kato is 42 miles behind Sehili at the moment.  Alexandera is knocking out about 160 miles/day while Lael Wilcox is averaging 180 miles/day.  

47 minutes ago, TAF said:

Those are insane distances!

I know, and they've been keeping this monster pace going since they started a week ago today.  

Also, the north bound folks will start seeing the southbound folks in a day or two.  

Edited by June Bug

Alexandera is regrouping at the Lodge on Pinedale!   It's snowing/raining/sleeting in Vail and other parts of the Colorado Rockies,  but that weather seems to be heading off to the northeast. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

Things are heating up.  Lael Wilcox (7th place) is only 28 miles behind (now leading) Josh Kato; Sofiane is now 5th, and about 15 miles behind Josh.   People are getting bunched up at the front and heading into some serious climbing ahead.

Northbound leader and southbound leader are now only about 130 miles apart.