IGNORED

1Up Quickrack vs Super Duty

Weaver

Super duty is best if you primarily haul 2 bikes. The benefit of the more modular one is that for me, 95% of the time I have one bike on it, and that means I can leave the rack on my car and still open the rear hatch. The bigger one would block my hatch. 
I'm trying to compare the two different single racks. The quick rack vs the super duty single. Not considering the heavy duty double.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Seth, are you ok? You haven't been at work lately. We're starting to get concerned.

whoops! forgot about this thread and me needing to reply as I promised.

if you plan on even semi regularly carrying more than 2 bikes, get the heavy duty for sure. I had the 1 1/4" one up rack and with 3 bikes it flexed like crazy and was scary to watch. going down the highway and hitting humps/dips in the road would make the rack flex about 6-8" vertically, maybe more. it was crazy.. then at one point for a shuttle run at cat mtn, I very briefly put 4 bikes on it (its only rated for up to 3) and the entire rack snapped off with $20k worth of bikes on it and skid down the street like a sled. thank god it didn't tip over and all the bikes were completely unharmed.

so 1-2 bikes, the 1 1/4" hitch one up rack is great

but if you think you may ever exceed 2 bikes, get the 2" heavy duty one up 

IMG_6577.JPG

On 9/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, Seths Pool said:

I had the 1 1/4" one up rack and with 3 bikes it flexed like crazy and was scary to watch. going down the highway and hitting humps/dips in the road would make the rack flex about 6-8" vertically, maybe more. it was crazy.. then at one point for a shuttle run at cat mtn, I very briefly put 4 bikes on it (its only rated for up to 3) and the entire rack snapped off with $20k worth of bikes on it and skid down the street like a sled.

With 3 bikes on it you thought it looked crazy and scary, so you decided to put 4 bikes on it.

...I think I know why your stuff keeps breaking. 🙂

49 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

With 3 bikes on it you thought it looked crazy and scary, so you decided to put 4 bikes on it.

...I think I know why your stuff keeps breaking. 🙂

I put 4 bikes on it to literally drive 1.5 miles at about 15mph for a single shuttle run at cat. 

but speaking of all this - I just got back from pajarito last night. and I now have the 2" hitch bar, and heavy duty side plates, and with 4 bikes on the rack, going down the highway and hitting dips/humps in the road was yet again flexing the rack enough to keep me concerned. im gonna call 1 up and ask them how much flex is expected. I understand that 4 enduro/dh bikes on top of the 60+lb rack is a lot of weight and leverage when bouncing up and down, but im a little traumatized from the first rack breaking.  the thought of a 4 bike rack with $20k+ of bikes on it snapping off again but this time going down the highway makes me cringe and drive in fear of it happening again

You may have already thought about this, but the flex could be coming from different locations....or a little bit of all the locations.  I owed an Odyssey van with a 2" receiver hitch and when I loaded it up (w/3-4 bikes) the hitch mount itself flexed uncomfortably.  But when I put the same rack on my truck receive hitch it doesn't flex near as much.

-CJB

What's the tongue weight limit for you vehicle Seth? 4 Enduro bikes @ about 30lbs each + 60+lb rack = 180lbs+

My Outback's limited at 200lbs and that's calculated for a trailer, not an unsupported load cantilevering off the hitch. There's no way my car should ever have 4 bikes loaded on the hitch. A 4 tray rack is a really long lever and even small bounces can magnify the load on the end of it. So, while it's parked it might just be below the weight limit, but hitting a dip in the road even at 15mph could send the effective load at the hitch way over. Curt even states in their installation instructions to not mount unsupported loads to the hitch without using bracing straps attached to the top of the vehicle or it voids their warranty.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheX said:

FedEx just delivered my super duty rack, and...

Wow! I am beyond impressed with the build quality and the packaging. They also included two of their *special* allen wrenches.

They literally are the best you can buy. Anyone who chooses one of the equivalently priced kuat or yakima racks, (which are all covered in plastic) over a 1up, made a bad buying decision. 

Glad you got your new rack you are going to love it!

• Like 1

I put 4 bikes on it to literally drive 1.5 miles at about 15mph for a single shuttle run at cat. 

So glad I saw this because I keep looking at the picture trying to figure out why you guys were all kitted out and helmets on and the van was facing one and the rack another. Makes sense now.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

Anyone who chooses one of the equivalently priced kuat or yakima racks, (which are all covered in plastic) over a 1up, made a bad buying decision. 

I'm very satisfied with my Kuat NV 2.0. It works great, looks better than the 1-UP, and was quite a bit cheaper after applying a Backcountry discount. Not sure what you mean by "all covered in plastic". There are some plastic pieces, but it's mostly glistening, powder-coated metal. If it fails me, I'll be the first to admit my mistake and post up here.