IGNORED

Re-sole Freeriders?

Five Ten used to sell Stealth rubber resole kits but stopped for some reason. I have a feeling that reason has something to do with greed and disregard for the environment.

You might have some luck with a company that resoles climbing shoes, but I don't know if there are any locals for that.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Finally, something I can actually speak about with real knowledge - I was in shoe repair for years.

Basically today's shoes are vulcanized to the soles (as well as being glued). Replacing a sole on a bike shoe pretty much requires a new sole that comes from the manufacturer and is custom fabricated for that exact model and that exact size. This is why a manufacturer will replace warranty claims vs offering to repair it. Odds are high that the repair will not be perfect and it will probably come apart on you (repair machinery is far less  efficient than some manufacturing lines...)

I would hit up the manufacturer on the shoe, there is a good probability of getting a replacement. If you do take it in to have it repaired, they are not going to look as nice and will not last as long. Take a look at the shoe itself, there is a sole and a side - these are a single piece and you can see where the stitching on the side is (upper edge of "sidewall".) This is actually where they go together because this is all one piece. To repair it a shoe repair would grind down the sole so that it is uniformly flat, glue on a new sole, then put an edging on there to hide the layers and hold it together. This will be glued, not sewn and will end up making the shoe look more like a Chuck Taylor basketball shoe. Basically you don't want to see the side layers because this is where they start o come apart. The new sidewall is not decorative, it is functional, holding the new sole to the rest of the shoe.

My professional advice is go after the manufacturer. If they say go pound sand, get another shoe and stay clear of 510.

33 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

get another shoe and stay clear of 510.

I wish that was possible. There are zero alternatives that don't suck ballz. I had a pair of Giro Jackets with Vibram soles for example. I stopped wearing them after a dozen rides because the pedals dug a hole through to sole that fast.

Where did you purchase? i would contact them first. They may point you directly to 510. Your shoes have a 1 year warranty:

Five Ten Products - We guarantee our Five Ten Products to be free of manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship to the original buyer for one year from the date of purchase.  Products found to be defective will be replaced at adidas Outdoor's discretion and we reserve the right to make all determinations as to the use of this policy.  adidas Outdoor reserves the right to determine between defective product and normal wear-and-tear. 

We do not replace products that have been replaced from a previous defective claim.

If you believe you have a defective product, please begin a warranty claim at www.terrexwarranty.com

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/service--returns-and-exchanges.html

IMHO, 5ten makes some better options over the standard freeriders, so i wouldn't invest much in resoling them. If you really like the canvas freeriders, go down to the vans outlet and buy some of their lowtop, padded skate shoes. They are just as grippy and cost under $50. 

5ten outlet had the freerider contact with MI6 rubber for 65.00 shipped over memorial day. If you watch closely, deals will come up. As it stands, their retail pricing is insane and i'd never pay it.

Lastly, Ive had pretty good luck with 5ten and still have a pair of maltese falcons from 2012.

You are 100% correct. It is no different than tires. When Kenda Blue Grooves first hit the market everyone was in awe of them, oh my god did they grip. Six months later we had all moved on because they wore out so fast.

Grippy but durable is like coming up with something that is wet and dry at the same time. Not a physicist, but working with different sole materials for years, you either had soft and grippy or hard and durable.

14 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Lastly, Ive had pretty good luck with 5ten and still have a pair of maltese falcons from 2012.

It looks like they were bought by Adidas relatively recently.  Doesn't quality always suffer in situations like that?

I use this stuff to make my bike shoes last:

https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Adhesive-Fixing-Shoes-3-7-Ounce/dp/B002L9AL84/

It's not quite as good as the original rubber, but it dries to a reasonable approximation and bonds to the shoe better than anything else I've tried.  I have old Five Tens that are 100% shoe goo in places.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Grippy but durable is like coming up with something that is wet and dry at the same time. Not a physicist, but working with different sole materials for years, you either had soft and grippy or hard and durable.

^This absolutely applies to all rubber, especially tires. Went through this in my auto racing and off-roading phases.  So much comes into play when choosing a compound for a specific application. I cant tell you how many times i saw guys getting the softest/stickiest compounds only to overheat them and turn them into grease. Once they did that, the rubber never recovered and the tires were garbage.

Hopefully these guys will provide a little competition to push 5ten/adidas back in the right direction.

https://rideconcepts.com/collections/ride-concepts-mens

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, TheX said:

Motorcycle tires at Circuit of the Americas tended to turn to a melted mess. Here's my front tire.

twsfront.thumb.jpg.8b3099e573d0834a30ea38cd1c460db8.jpg

Wow!  That looks like quite severe graining plus a lot of pickup.  I cannot imagine what it's like to get into the marbles on a motorcycle.  

On a related (sort of) note, has anyone had luck gluing the pad of a mountain bike pad or cover(?) back to the body?   The saddle doesn't even have a scratch on it but the cover came loose and now the nose of it catches on my shorts when I get on and off the saddle for descents and climbs.  

20 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

IMHO, 5ten makes some better options over the standard freeriders, so i wouldn't invest much in resoling them. If you really like the canvas freeriders, go down to the vans outlet and buy some of their lowtop, padded skate shoes. They are just as grippy and cost under $50. 

5ten outlet had the freerider contact with MI6 rubber for 65.00 shipped over memorial day. If you watch closely, deals will come up. As it stands, their retail pricing is insane and i'd never pay it.

Where did you find the 5Ten outlet?  I used to find great deals there, but have't been able to find it since the Adidas take-over.

17 hours ago, Ol' Man Rider said:

Where did you find the 5Ten outlet?  I used to find great deals there, but have't been able to find it since the Adidas take-over.

Sorry, i should have said sale page. I used to buy a ton of stuff from the outlet too and was bummed to see it go. I find most of the sales by signing up for email newsletters and make sure that goo-gull doesn't jam it in the spam folder. Thats how i found the memorial day sale from them.

Otherwise, there's this:

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-AO-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=sale_bike