IGNORED

Location of Coordinates???

I Hope somebody can help me figure this out. I have a location shown as 2997010.75E 10096432.05N. I thought this was the lat/long or GPS location. I can't figure what it is or how to convert that to anything I can figure out. This location should be in Reimer's Ranch.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

You guys are going down some of the same roads I did. I finally gave up and posted for help.

But then I found a different way to get something useful even if I didn't understand what those numbers meant (they were listed on a drawing as "Coordinate Points". I suspect you have to have the secret decoder ring to figure out where those were.

I found a KMZ file. I converted that to GPX file. My Garmin still could not figure out what was intended in the ~ 5 meg file. I tried Strava and TopoFusion without much luck. But when I imported the GPX file into Ride With GPS - it read the file and gave me something I could work with. The GPX file was about 30 short segments. My Garmin only took the first one. RWGPS listed and previewed each and everyone of them. I was able to look though the files and pick out the ones I needed to combine to make what I needed.

So even though I still don't know what those numbers meant - I have a track I can use.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

UTM uses big numbers but those are out of range for UTM. UTM for Steiner area would look something like 14R 609854E 3365045N

I have my location as 14R PU20168 for a combat flight sim forum I am on. MGRS, but similar to UTM

Edited by jcarneytx

On 6/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, mack_turtle said:

A track to where? Inquiring minds!

Doing some planning in Reimer's Ranch. That is all for now. Probably have more details in about a month.

I want to have something solid to report before I report it. Otherwise it starts to sound like Fake News.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

Isn't that missing a digit?

DCS? BMS?

DCS. A10C is my jam!...the numbers work as is, if entered into a mapping program, such as https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong-utm-mgrs.html (remove space after 14R and it'll work). Off by about 1/4 mile

Just realized I copied it wrong. missing a 5 - 14R PU201685 - puts it right next to my building

Edited by jcarneytx

15 hours ago, cxagent said:

Doing some planning in Reimer's Ranch. That is all for now. Probably have more details in about a month.

I want to have something solid to report before I report it. Otherwise it starts to sound like Fake News.

That's exciting, I like Reimer's and don't get out there often enough. I hope it pans out. Thanks for the work you do on behalf of area bikers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

Nice! I've spent plenty of time in the DCS hog and half the other modules.

I wouldnt mind a fast.mover, but really dont want to deal with controller setup for a different jet (I am really wanting that Harrier, though). Only thing I will be getting is that HIND they announced. I can wait. Unless they suddenly release a Longbow (RIP Longbow 2)

Edited by jcarneytx

7 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

I wouldnt mind a fast.mover, but really dont want to deal with controller setup for a different jet (I am really wanting that Harrier, though). Only thing I will be getting is that HIND they announced. I can wait. Unless they suddenly release a Longbow (RIP Longbow 2)

My controller is dying a slow death. I need to open it up again and fix it right or just upgrade. The Harrier is fun. It starts up quick and the computer bits are basic compared to the A-10. Very limited ordnance though especially if you are used to the Hog. The Hornet would be my choice for a 2nd module. It does everything. I snagged the UH-1 in a sale and it's great but yeah I'd trade that in a second for a Kiowa or an Apache. RIP Longbow 2.

• Like 1