IGNORED

Lake Austin freeloaders

mack_turtle

LOL!  Not the most popular neighbor at the yearly picnic I bet.  Oopsie!

Current Austin City Council members only recently became aware of the exemption after a couple who own a $3.7 million home on the north shores of Lake Austin, abutting the eastern edge of Emma Long Park, found out they were not getting the same deal as their neighbors. The couple sued and council members learned that what they initially thought was an isolated error included numerous homes.

This right here:

“We have low-income homeowners selling their houses if they can’t afford property taxes, and parts of West Austin aren’t paying any city taxes on their multimillion-dollar homes at all?” Council Member Greg Casar said. “It’s just indefensible and it’s time to fix it.”

In general, I think it's BS for the city to say you won't pay taxes but you will get no services in unincorporated areas.  The reality is that EMS and AFD will respond where needed and when needed.

• Like 1

The missus mentioned a high school friend with a home on Lake Austin with a ski boat who recently shared how they are selling the house and moving to Pagosa Springs, CO.

I suspect their home may have been one of those in the ranks of the exempted properties and they are getting ahead of the tide to avoid a major tax hit in the near future.

• Like 1

https://www.kut.org/post/statesman-reporter-recounts-mistake-allowed-lakefront-properties-avoid-paying-taxes

Here's a good article. 

"They have access to police and EMS and fire services; fire is a little more limited because there's a lot of mutual aid agreements"

"The services that they don't have are water, wastewater and trash. They are not connected to the larger water system and Austin Resource Recovery. The city's trash service does not pick up their trash."

• 2 months later...

I live in an unincorporated area and my taxes are lower (why I bought the house)! I have a septic tank, we have are own contract with trash and water, no natural gas to the neighborhood (LP tank). So just because Austin has grown into these rural areas doesn’t mean the people that live there are criminals or evading taxes! Those houses weren’t million dollar houses when many of those people bought them! Now get off my lawn!😜