IGNORED

Ergon GP1 Grips

10 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

You need to get the ergon GS-1s

Is the "s" for size small in that grip? Can you post a pic of how angled you have yours set up? It is so strange to me that you can do the shit you do with those paddles on your grip. I have some specialized equivalents for the bike I ride on the street but I can't imagine using them for technical off road rides.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

Is the "s" for size small in that grip? Can you post a pic of how angled you have yours set up? It is so strange to me that you can do the shit you do with those paddles on your grip. I have some specialized equivalents for the bike I ride on the street but I can't imagine using them for technical off road rides.

Haha, well those grip paddles don’t hinder me in the slightest and I absolutely swear by them. I have them on every single one of my bikes including my DH bike. They virtually made my hand pain/fatigue/arm pump COMPLETELY disappear. 

The wrist/palm/hand support is just great. It feels like you can ride your bike with relaxed open hands instead of a death grip on a little skinny handlebar rod with some rubber over it. 

it’s become one of those things where if I ride a bike without them a feel completely weird and hate how the bike feels. 

The paddles also in my opinion help keeps your elbows out naturally because the Paddles keep your wrists from sinking down like you're twisting the throttle on a motorcycle. Give it a try as you are reading this post - act like you are gripping a handlebar and poke out your elbows like you are in Attack position on a bike, now sink & twist your wrists like you are on a dirt bike and watch how your elbows naturally fold inward. 

I see riders sometimes riding with sunken wrists, elbows inward, and they seem like they just have noodle arms waiting for a rock or root to Jerk their front wheel and throw them on the ground like a rag doll. Keeping your wrists up high naturally keeps your elbows out in the “bulldog” attack position which helps your leverage/control of the bars/front wheel. 

The ergon GS1 grips come in two sizes small and large and that is just the thickness of the grips. I have big hands so I am happy with both sizes. 

If anyone buys a pair to try them and doesn’t like them I will almost always buy them from you. Just FYI! 

Check out my primer with them for the angle- 

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheX said:

So I got a pair of GS1's today, and they are EXACTLY the same as the GS3's. I have no idea what the difference would be.

from looking at their site, the main body of the grip is identical but the GS3 and GS2 add bar ends integrated into the grip end piece. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:17 AM, Anita Handle said:

I swear by them, but I don't do crazy shit. Ergon grips are great for longer rides. My arms do not get fatigued and It helps me maintain a better hand position.

I like Ergon grips because they have just enough texture to give you good grip but not so much texture that they cause hot spots on your hands. I've been rocking the GA3's for a while now and really like them. Was running the GE1's before those. The GA3's have just a small wing on the end giving plenty of support to the heel of your hand.

image.png.4fd1a4dd77ed7761b12ab19d6d557c83.png

• Like 1

I bought a pair of GP1 after reading this thread. I’m having some difficulty finding an angle that suits me. My hands were more numb on my first ride trying them but that was with a flat angle. Now I have them like this and I think it’s better. See picture.

if you guys have some pictures, let’s see your angle for reference. Thanks!

51E01CC4-A220-4CE0-AFB5-B233F84BA4D3.jpeg

It's better if you capture your seat on the picture to get a reference.  I'll post mine up.  I move them around depending on what I'm doing.  For endurance rides I point them up more.  For playing around I have them a bit flatter, but it depends on how my hands are feeling.  If I point them up too high, the outside heel of my hand gets irritated.  I'll ride around with a single 4mm Allen wrench for quick on-the-fly adjustments.

I'm sold! I got the GS-1 and did 3 laps on PP during the race today and got 3 PRs. Normally I would need to stop 1/3-1/2 of the way through and recover from the numbness in my hands, especially my right hand. Today the numbness was 98% gone. It came on much slower and I was able to relax my grip without loosing control or slowing down. If I was consciously keeping my grip more relaxed the numbness wouldn't come back. I had them angled pretty high, felt great while standing, a little odd while sitting but not bad. 

• Like 5