Jump to content
radiantm3

Fork and shock upgrade in pairs or separately fine?

Recommended Posts

Note to self: Don't ride nicer bikes than your own.

My bike currently has a "low" grade Rockshox fork and shock and after riding a friend's nicely spec'd bike I had the urge to upgrade my setup. I got a pretty decent deal on a 2019 Fox 36 float factory, but going to wait until next month to order a DPX2 shock. Wondering if it's better to wait and install both at the same time or is there no downside to installing the fork first? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always upgrade piecemeal when I have money / time. I would not think twice about installing the fork this month and the shock next month.

This question is a different version of "upgrade my existing bike or replace my existing bike"? Do what ever works for you!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really see a downside to installing the fork now.  I mean, sure, you won't get the full picture in terms of how your bike is going to feel and handle until both jobs are done, but installing the fork now will give you time to start getting to know the new fork and (hopefully) dialing it in.  Also, if you are paying someone to install it, getting the fork done now would spread out the cost a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

what fork do you have now? do you "need" an upgrade, or could you get more out of it with a rebuild and tune?

I currently have a RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air. I definitely don't "need" an upgrade, but one could also ask if the average rider needs to spend more than $3k on a new full suspension bike? I've been riding my base spec 2018 Transition Scout on all the Brushy trails for 2 years without any changes and just feel that urge to do a few upgrades as I do love this bike, but also want to enjoy riding with some new shiny bits. 😆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to buying new parts, get the most out of your purchase by spending some time getting a feel for what each adjustment does and how you can sense the changes made.

Over the long run, if the shock/fork have adjustments the most benefit will come to the rider from learning all you can about setting up things like preload, rebound, and any other knobs. Dedication to the time-consuming task of tuning any suspension to get the most out of it provides a payback that lasts forever. Once any rider is familiar with the process and comfortable with setup, any suspension component can likely be made to work better.

I've heard that BSS offers a suspension tuning service that several have said nice things about and which helps the rider understand how to test for small changes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radiantm3 said:

I currently have a RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air. I definitely don't "need" an upgrade, but one could also ask if the average rider needs to spend more than $3k on a new full suspension bike? I've been riding my base spec 2018 Transition Scout on all the Brushy trails for 2 years without any changes and just feel that urge to do a few upgrades as I do love this bike, but also want to enjoy riding with some new shiny bits. 😆 

I went from a Rockshox Pike to a Fox 36 and could feel a significant difference.  First off it is a lot stiffer, not that the 35mm stanchion Rockshox forks aren't. You will get more range of adjustments and the fork will be better at taking successive hits since it will have a better damper (not sure which Fox one you're getting) than the Rockshox RC (Motion Control or Charger RC).  Put the fork on, the 36 is awesome!  You will probably notice the fork outperforming the rear shock but that will just make you upgrade faster.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radiantm3 said:

I currently have a RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air. 

That's a nice fork. When did you do a full service on it last? I take my Reba apart every 6 months or so.

There are always nice parts in the market, but a Rev should do ya fine if you take care of it. Look into basic maintenance, of course, but also bottomless Tokens and aftermarket dampers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

I currently have a RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air. I definitely don't "need" an upgrade, but one could also ask if the average rider needs to spend more than $3k on a new full suspension bike? I've been riding my base spec 2018 Transition Scout on all the Brushy trails for 2 years without any changes and just feel that urge to do a few upgrades as I do love this bike, but also want to enjoy riding with some new shiny bits. 😆 

That fork is actually a decent platform to build off of.  Have you considered a charger 2 RC2 and MRP ramp control or luftkappe upgrade?

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, ATXZJ said:

That fork is actually a decent platform to build off of.  Have you considered a charger 2 RC2 and MRP ramp control or luftkappe upgrade?

This is exactly what I was going to say.

If you're just upgrading for variety, check this out: https://mrpbike.com/products/ramp-control-cartridge-for-rock-shox/?variant=12922378518570

Ramp control is awesome.  You can learn a ton about suspension behavior by having progressiveness easily available to adjust.  I change mine all the time for the type of riding I'm doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

This is exactly what I was going to say.

If you're just upgrading for variety, check this out: https://mrpbike.com/products/ramp-control-cartridge-for-rock-shox/?variant=12922378518570

Ramp control is awesome.  You can learn a ton about suspension behavior by having progressiveness easily available to adjust.  I change mine all the time for the type of riding I'm doing.

I actually already have the mrp ramp controller and it’s been great. But the 36 factory was just on another level completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What bike is your friends that you rode? Is it a Scout like yours with better suspension components or is it a different bike? A different bike with a different suspension curve will have a completely different feel than yours does. Like previously posted play with your suspension settings to see what feels good and what doesn't many times just taking some time to tune your suspension will give you bigger benefits than you would think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already ordered the fork before I made this post. So time will tell if I wasted money like some of you are implying or not. It's definitely an interesting take though. I've been riding for 4-5 years now, but never really tinkered with my bikes as far as changing out components. Improving the rider has always been my primary goal. But I'm starting to feel the difference between budget components and the better stuff between riding friend's bikes and just upgrading components out of frustration with current components. 

I've also always been the type of person that has to learn from my own mistakes, while taking into account research and advice. Everyone seems to have different opinions so it's best for me to just give it a shot and have personal experience. I'll definitely report back on this thread how the new fork feels compared to my current. 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not going wrong with a Fox 36.  Riding 4+ years definitely puts you in the window of being able to appreciate it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

I already ordered the fork before I made this post. So time will tell if I wasted money like some of you are implying or not. It's definitely an interesting take though. I've been riding for 4-5 years now, but never really tinkered with my bikes as far as changing out components. Improving the rider has always been my primary goal. But I'm starting to feel the difference between budget components and the better stuff between riding friend's bikes and just upgrading components out of frustration with current components. 

I've also always been the type of person that has to learn from my own mistakes, while taking into account research and advice. Everyone seems to have different opinions so it's best for me to just give it a shot and have personal experience. I'll definitely report back on this thread how the new fork feels compared to my current. 🙂 

 

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

You're not going wrong with a Fox 36.  Riding 4+ years definitely puts you in the window of being able to appreciate it too.

X2 on this. Not going wrong upgrading to a factory 36. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

I already ordered the fork before I made this post. So time will tell if I wasted money like some of you are implying or not. It's definitely an interesting take though. I've been riding for 4-5 years now, but never really tinkered with my bikes as far as changing out components. Improving the rider has always been my primary goal. But I'm starting to feel the difference between budget components and the better stuff between riding friend's bikes and just upgrading components out of frustration with current components. 

I've also always been the type of person that has to learn from my own mistakes, while taking into account research and advice. Everyone seems to have different opinions so it's best for me to just give it a shot and have personal experience. I'll definitely report back on this thread how the new fork feels compared to my current. 🙂 

Upgradeitis is very common among people who have been riding for some time. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade your bike. One thing to keep in mind when upgrading an older bike is to try and purchase upgrades that can swapped over to a newer bike should you get a case of new bikeitis😁  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...