IGNORED

MTBing Sweet Spot... What Exactly is it?

RidingAgain

Someone suggested that my "...sweet spot seems to be right around 2004-2005...", and that I should just "...Stay there....".

And yet... 

Here I am... In 2019... Alive and kicking.

I ride a 2007 Cannonade Prophet... That has a 2018 handlebar (760mm, no less), 2016 Race Face Atlas cranks, and soon, 2015 10-speed Shimano XT shifters/brakes... And a 1 x 10 drivetrain to go with the shifters. Possibly using a 2018 11 x 46 cassette, who knows.

So what exactly does all this add up to?

See, I also build what I guess some would refer to as "retro" (or old) bikes — using old bike frames and bike parts to build bikes that I can sell cheaply to folk who want to ride trails, but maybe can't afford even $300 for a bike (yes, I am one of those who thinks that trails should not be only for those who ride more expensive bikes).

I also try to support The Yellowbike Project, which is certainly not so current in what they do... In the sense of the bikes/parts they use and sell... And even building bikes, which has been around for just over 200 years.

So am I just stuck in some kind of past era?

Is thinking to recycle stuff because I see current (as in 2019) value in it, just a 2004-2005 sweet-spot that I need to stay in?

Is there nothing current about applying "...Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..." thinking/action?

Is the US EPA sell phrase, old?

Shoot... Did I just use an old phrase in saying "...sell phrase..."?

But I digress...

Back to MTBing sweet spot...

What exactly is it?

And if it is for some, "...right around 2004-2005..."... Should this be looked down upon by those whose sweet spot is shiny purple (or all black) 2018/19 $3,000+ bikes and the whizz-bang components that come on them?

Edited by RidingAgain