IGNORED

El Camino 105 gravel grind, Palestine Texas

bestbike85

I haven’t done it before. Haven’t really ridden anything out there north of Huntsville. I do know from lots of travel and working out in that region that elevation will be a factor.  

I’m a 50mile or less guy these days, if it were 55 or 60 I may reach for it, but decided to not push myself and signed up for the 35. More time for Michelob Ultras. 

• 3 weeks later...

The week has arrived. 

I’m in Houston for a few days for work and brought the bike with 650x48’s. Going to do a couple 20-25 mile rides and see how these feel. May stick to my 700x43 if it’s a bit sluggish on the pavement. My route is 38 miles with 1,740 ft of elevation, but it’s about 50/50 pavement to gravel from my rough calculations. The 65 and the 105 are much heavier gravel. Since my ratio is rather low I lean towards the 700s, but I’ll make that decision later this week. 

3rd out of 75 in the 38 miler. The sand pit was nuts. I walked over a mile and I was running 48s. Anything smaller and they had to walk the whole 1.6 miles I’d imagine. 

1st and 2nd in my category were a dad/son combo that beat me by 17min, and I caught 3rd place with a half mile to go. Beat him by 10 seconds. Awesome event and fun as shit racing gravel. Hope I can get in to 100 mile DK for next year. 

FCD7F47D-A6B4-47EF-A78F-30461035E9DE.jpeg

• Like 1