IGNORED

“But if I say, ‘Who wants to learn how to precision-machine the interface between the handlebars and the bike frame?..."

When I started working on my bike on a regular basis I began to realize that what I was doing — with a little more schooling — could quite possibly keep me employed anywhere in the world. Well, where there were enough people moving around.

Back in the late '60s a cousin of mine travelled around the world... Twice... By stopping in places and working some odd job until he made enough money to move on to somewhere else. And in Jamaica I met an older sufer dude from Puerto Rico that lived on a sailboat. He went home and worked for four or five months, then sailed around the Caribbean for the rest of the year to surf the various breaks. He would take blocks of foam, fibreglass and resin with him and make surfboards when he stopped at these places. And his boards were actually pretty good. And affordable. He'd also repair damaged boards for locals.

A cousin of my wife used to spend months in Bali and surrounding area in his late teens/twenties, also surfing. He's a trained chef who last I heard went on to own a very successful restaurant in California somewhere. But in his younger days he'd work to travel and surf.

Why am I bring all this up?

I love to see new opportuniies for learning a trade that can serve your job needs in multiple types of communities worlwide, open up in mainstream education environments... Especially in areas related to manufacturing and engineering (I had three uncles who all, coming out of a tiny island called Trinidad, became quite professionally successful because of engineering degrees they earned).

Coming across the following, I just think it's great...

https://www.thefabricator.com/article/additive/bicycle-design-program-rethinks-manufacturing-education?utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=kevin%40montana-steel.com&utm_content=FabUpdate_April2019&utm_campaign=Fabricating+Update%3A+Riding+the+bicycle+to+a+manufacturing+career&fbclid=IwAR0liCSU7oA4OFCjz4D5gXl0X-m8-3g9Fsldx8X2PG1NTbmb9dzKJbpAaek

• 1 month later...