IGNORED

Juan El Eben

Ridenfool

Got the new drivetrain installed after some back and forth obtaining the right parts.

1350791899_IMG_20180903_100104485_HDR1.thumb.jpg.d6b8c0006e508d97473ca734f41b3bd3.jpg

Note to self: Shimano sells a shifter that won't bolt on to a handlebar unless you have other Shimano stuff bolted there too. Ordering the correct part the first time would result in faster conversion.

Taking advantage of the air conditioning outside today I tested the 1x11 (Juan El Eban, get it?) on familiar trails and found that the range of 11-46 coupled to a 32 up front provided everything I needed to have a great time. Plus the added bonus of no longer having to keep in mind which ring I'm on. That aspect was liberating, as now I only have one shifter to deal with and felt no lost love for the parts removed. Sorry, front derailleur and shifter, you'll have to accept that it is over between us. Hands down, this is the best $180 I've spent on the bike I can recall. The fact that as we age, recall becomes suspect, further exemplifies how losing the other shifter is a win-win. The shifting is the most crisp and positive of any rear derailleur I've owned.

The combo of clutched derailleur and narrow-wide ring was flawless. In addition to the front derailleur and shifter I also removed a dual step chain roller that was no longer needed. It is a very clean machine now.

Also filled the left-hand shifter's vacant spot with a Knog Oi bell. An amazing low-profile dinger that fits snugly between grip and brake, almost disappearing behind the lever for the X-Fusion dropper. Gotta love a tidy set of controls.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2