IGNORED

McKinney Roughs - Bastrop

Ridenfool

There are a lot of new trails since my last visit, maybe a decade ago. Many have some challenging climbs. Though most of it is wide enough for an ATV, it does a good job of weaving through interesting sections and providing a good workout. If you are in the neighborhood, check it out. $5 fee.

Ride it counter-clockwise, particularly on Yaupon and the following trails on down to the river. Trust me. I rode the other way and spotted the "Wrong Way" notice printed in small red letters on the bicycle signs when riding clockwise. It was an awful slog with multiple, steep, uphill sections when going the wrong way.

Watch for any trails marked as no bicycles and avoid them as they will likely have steps and sharp switchbacks not suitable for bikes. We took one accidentally, no prohibition for bikes (sign missing?) where we entered near the Zipline, was only marked as no bikes where we came out.

There can be horses and hikers sharing many of the trails, which are pretty well signed showing who can go where. We only saw one runner and no horses while there on a weekday. Most of the riding was in the shade.

MTBProject has no map of the place, but HikingProject does. We also had a printed trail map from their website to refer to for more detail.

• Thanks 1