IGNORED

Hammerhead Karoo

TheX

2 hours ago, mcfly said:

You're probably already aware, but this thing is big and heavy. Would you carry it in a running pack? I'm not sure if it has running type stats. I'm not built for running.

I'm not sure of the size, but you're talking to someone that remembers the old Forerunner wristband GPS units.  I made myself a wrist mount for my Edge520+ with a velcro sports wrist band and the included Garmin o-ring mount--which I wouldn't have used otherwise.

Thanks for the answers.  I think I'm going to hold off for something else.  I'm thinking maybe a wristband unit or smart watch type thing is what I need for the 10-24 hour races.

• 4 months later...

Still diggin my Karoo. I've had some buddies see it and be interested in getting one. But the Karoo hasn't been available for purchase since April, when Hammerhead announced that they are working on the Karoo 2. And it's looking like the Karoo 2 won't be available until late this year. Seems crazy to me that they would just stop selling any product for that amount of time. Even if it's public knowledge that they are working on the Karoo 2, I'd think they could still be selling v1 in the meantime. 

• 4 months later...

I put my $99 down on a Karoo 2 pre-order. Finally got to do the order today. Going by other people's experiences, it should ship right away. I'm probably going to keep the Karoo 1 as a spare, unless I can get something useful in trade for it.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:14 PM, TheX said:

I put my $99 down on a Karoo 2 pre-order. Finally got to do the order today. Going by other people's experiences, it should ship right away. I'm probably going to keep the Karoo 1 as a spare, unless I can get something useful in trade for it.

I ordered the Karoo 2 too. Let me know when you get yours. My understanding is that it won't ship for another 2 weeks after ordering. Probably will pass my Karoo 1 down to my kid.

OK, it showed up today, and I have it all set up. My only complaint so far is the fact that the mount only fits one size bar. They included and adapter to mount to a Garmin mount, but I like the new one better. 

Small complaint.

Edited by TheX

Got mine too. I use it on multiple bikes so will be sticking with the Garmin mount adapter. My small complaint is the uncovered USB port. I know it's supposed to be waterproof but would prefer something to keep the mud out. I hope I have a chance to give it a go tomorrow.

Playing around with both versions I've decided to continue using both of them. The new one is perfect on the gravel bike. Smaller, and I love the new mount. The original one on the Bronson. Bigger screen, and if it gets damaged it's not a big deal. The K2 is a lot faster, but that doesn't really matter on the trails. 

Was out riding with the new one today. To be perfectly honest, I feel like some parts of it are a step backwards. I like the fact that the lanyard and mount issues have been resolved. I like the new button layout, but the screen being smaller isn't a good thing. If you're using it for data only, it's perfect. If you are using it for maps, the bigger the better. I won't be selling the old one any time soon. 

I was looking forward to the bluetooth phone integration. But come to find out, you can't upload your ride via the phone bluetooth connection, that's still wifi only. Maybe that will be improved with a future software update. I'm still happy to get phone notifications on the Karoo 2.