IGNORED

Spider mountain

4fun

Are any of you guys that have dug multiple times at spider mountain concerned about all the rain leading up to the race? Do you think it will be like RPR where you still get good grip on wet trails? My concern is: 1) I haven’t been riding very much do to all the rain, and 2) the day I dug out there we seemed to be pick ax’ing through a lot of lime stone that maybe very slick if wet during the race. Those two combined with Me having a tendency to ride a little above my pay grade on race days have me worried that it could be very dangerous! I’ve been excited about this race since the announcement on the Fourth of July, and love doing Trail Party events! Any opinions or advice?

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, Urb said:

You have to be an adult and decide for yourself if you can manage the conditions.  Racing (even in perfect conditions) carries risk. 

Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport - racing or not. That doesn't mean a discerning adult shouldn't seek safety insights from others who may have deeper knowledge regarding a particular venue. Hope everybody is able to stay safe out there this weekend.  

On 9/24/2018 at 1:31 PM, Urb said:

You have to be an adult and decide for yourself if you can manage the conditions.  Racing (even in perfect conditions) carries risk. 

Agreed. Part of being successful in life is getting as much info as you can to make an informed decision. Which is what I was fishing for here.

• Like 1

I give the "ride within limits, be an adult" speech to all my racers because that's the truth.  I don't know everyone's skill/comfort level.  I find that by trusting folks is more effective than trying to scare them.  

As a race promoter, I can control certain things....EMT, safety plan, helmet rule, waivers, liability insurance, the trails we build/race.  I can't control some dummy trying to do his best Sam Hill impression.  So I don't try....

Also, FREE BARTMAN!!!

2 hours ago, throet said:

Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport - racing or not. That doesn't mean a discerning adult shouldn't seek safety insights from others who may have deeper knowledge regarding a particular venue. Hope everybody is able to stay safe out there this weekend.  

1 minute ago, 4fun said:

Agreed. Part of being successful in life is getting as much info as you can to make an informed decision. Which is what I was fishing for here.

My personal answer wont help you....I love sketchy conditions and what I consider manageable is someone else's "no fuckin way".  

It might rain, it probably won't.  If there's weather, everyone has to choose for themselves what to do.