IGNORED

Brake upgrade question

rockshins

So my daily driver is a 160/150mm all mountain bike. Came specced with Shimano XT 8000 2 piston brakes. The 8000’s are not bad brakes but lack the power and modulation (for shimano brakes) of their 4 piston offerings.  Having ridden Shimano Zee’s there is a noticeable difference.

To save some money I initially upgraded just the front brake with a Shimano XT 8020 4 piston brake. Big improvement. Braking has been decent but on the steeper stuff and Spider Mountain the rear is lacking. 230lbs fully loaded so I tend to like powerful brakes and only looking at 4 piston options.

I have been trying to source the XT 8020 calipers but having a tough time and they are not as cheap as they were previously. I want to be able to use the same brake pads front and rear, so I have found the Shimano Zee caliper and a new cheaper option a Shimano Deore 6120 4 piston brake. Looks like the only downside is the Deore only takes a non finned brake pad. I could care less about the finned pads. 

Does anyone have experience with the 6120’s? Should I shell out a little more money for the 8020 (to match my front brake) or Zee calipers? Or should i just save some money and go with the 6120 calipers? Can’t imagine there is a huge advantage to the more expensive options. Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

Yeah I guess I did. Going with 6120 will save me about $55 as the brake lines are about $10 cheaper on these models. It will drive me a little nuts to have mismatched calipers but as long as the performance is similar I will get over it. Still holding out on a finding a deal on the XT's.

What size rotors are you running F&R?

Also looked at buying the new deore 4/2 piston kit off ebay. As I recall, the pistons were a little different in the older models but not sure of the newer stuff. I'm sure there's a ton of info on MTBR about this but they seem to be having some malware issues at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...