IGNORED

Fox is Replacing Owner's Float X2 Shock 2021-2023 with 2024 version

I'm posting this in hope that there might be some here with an early Float X2 shock who would want to take advantage of this.

Recently I purchased a 2022 Float X2 Factory shock on sale from Jenson USA for about half price. Then began the study of the finer points of setup and understanding all the knobs by searching the interwebz for first-hand experience.

In this search I came across several threads on a variety of MTB forums relating how Fox is addressing known problems with the design of 2021-2023 models by offering a replacement/upgrade to a re-engineered and much improved 2024 model, for the price of shipping.

I contacted the Fox Service department by phone and was asked for a serial number. Next, I was offered the opportunity to swap it for a 2024 using the online Service Request Form. Shipping to Fletcher, NC via USPS was $11. (from the phone queue, choose Bike, then press 2 for Service in order to be offered the swap. The Sales folks at press 1 won't offer this. DAMHIK)

Further, the tech I was speaking with in Fletcher, NC said they have stock on many of the 2024 models and can turn it around in a few days. They then offered to tune the replacement for my weight, bike, and riding style, so I'm getting the Medium Compression and Rebound tunes, 2 Volume Spacers installed, and stroke length adjusted from 55mm to 52.5mm to match the spec for the OEM shock.

If you have an early version of this shock, or, are considering an upgrade like I did, this is an excellent way to get one of the 2024 versions through this offer.

Here's a list that includes the improvements made for 2024:

SPECS & FAMILY FEATURES
NEW base valve piston design and compression tune for increased damping performance and improved sensitivity
NEW bearing housing seal package virtually eliminates possibility of aeration
NEW scraper seal for improved durability
NEW more robust eyelet design on trunnion models
NEW 7000 series shock body on all models
NEW hard chrome damper shaft finish for increased durability
MCU bottom-out bumper for end-stroke progressivity
Matching 8-click HSC and HSR adjustment on GRIP2 forks and X2 shocks
Unrivaled high-speed rebound tunability via VVC (Variable Valve Control)
Independent firm mode circuit (on models with 2-position switch)
Finned inner body for improved structural rigidity and reduced hysteresis

Edited by Ridenfool
emphasizing Press 2 for Service to get the offer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Ridenfool changed the title to Fox is Replacing Owner's Float X2 Shock 2021-2023 with 2024 version

Somewhere in my searches I read that earlier versions (maybe 2017-2020?) of the X2 were recalled.

So, if someone has a version older than 2021, it might be worth a call to Fox Service as well.

Edited by Ridenfool

As I understand it, the 2017-2020 was a recall (mandatory) because the failure could result in potential injury.

The 2021-2023 is voluntary by Fox as it was an internal seal leaking under high pressure, rather than an air can that might actually explode rupture. 😳

Either way, it is easy to deal with and the Fox team should be able to determine what to do based on the serial number.

Edited by Ridenfool