IGNORED

Buck Creek Trails Abilene, TX

AntonioGG

I'm now a 2024 member of the Abilene bike club.  It's only $15 more than a single day fee.  This is on public land but it's administered by the club, and the bike shop Bike Town graciously handle the applications, fees, and such.  The trail is fun.  I did just under 14 miles riding everything.  It has a 3 mile beginner loop (windy on flat ground) which is a good warm-up.  The 2nd 3 miles are maybe a bit more advanced but still tame with a little more fun stuff.  The rest of it has very techy rock gardens, climbs and descents.  I was running on 4 hours of sleep and 4 hours driving, so the punchy stuff really took a lot out of me, and toward the end I played it safe and walked some of the stuff.  Probably not worth a trip, but it's on the way to Palo Duro and right off I-20 if you're heading in other directions. No bathrooms or water at the trailhead, but an awning, smoker/grill and picnic tables.  The bike shop is across town unfortunately but it is Abilene so it's not too bad. They have a filtered bottle filler there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, this place has been on my radar for years. What were the fees? I have seen $20 and $40 for an annual membership but not a day pass. We did stop in Abilene the last time we went to Palo Duro on the way home. Good brewery 'downtown' called Grain Theory to sweeten the pot.

Looks like the race course only includes a 4.5 mile loop. I do want to make it out there and check out all the trails at some point.

If Buck Creek Trails are new to you, you’ll find that they offer a little bit of everything. This may be West Texas, but this is not a flat course! For the 2024 race, you will ride a 4.5 mile UCI style short track course. This course has some great spectator spots that allow you to see multiple parts of the course while staying in one place. Bring your family along to watch you race!

Pro/Cat 1 men 19-49/Single Speed Open: 6 laps (27 miles)

Cat 1 men 15-18, 50+, and all Cat 1 women: 4 laps (18 miles)

Cat 2 & Single Speed 2/3: 4 laps (18 miles)

Cat 3: 2 laps (9 miles)

12 & under: 2 laps of kid course (5 miles)

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1