IGNORED

Re...Lig...Ion... What exactly is it?

RidingAgain

I recently posted a couple of comments in response to someone's comment about "...church..." and riding trails on a Sunday morning. This was on the Brushy Creek thread in the MTB section of this website.

I did this because I have experienced this dilemma myself... Even as far back as when I was racing cross country mtb in the mid-90s. Back in '97, I was being sponsored by a bike shop and the first of a really big annual mtb race event was being held at Oleta State Park, which was right up the road from it. So of course they wanted me to compete. Not because I could win, as this event was attracting many way stronger riders, even in my Clydesdale class. The owners of the bike shop just wanted to have their name seen. Thing is... The race was on a Sunday morning... And I had "...church..." to go to.

What to do?

Long story short... I went to the "...church meeting..." for a bit, then cut out early and just managed to get to the park in time to get my kit on and hit the start... Which BTW, I led right up to the first trailhead entrance (after which I just fell way behind). Put me on flat open ground and I was very fast. Technical trail was another matter.

But I digress...

The matter brought up in the Brushy Creek thread was, for me, touching on a matter that I have personally encountered for over twenty years... Riding trails on a Sunday morning, or meeting with the church.

And I know there are other riders on this website who have encountered the same dilemma.

Shoot... The Christian life is filled with similar dilemmas... Every day it's a life of doing this or that according to your sense of what you've come to believe about your relationship with the God who is revealed in Judeo/Christ scriptures. And for those of us who mountain bike, our mtb activity is just one more matter added to the mix.

And this is where clarity of what the Christian life actually comes into play...

And the Christian life, contrary to what most people may think... Is not a life of religion.

The Christian life is simply a matter of... Life.

But to come to understand this, from my own experience, there is the need to become clear regarding what exactly religion is. Hence my reason for creating this thread.

So in following comments I'll explain what religion actually is... How it differs from what scripture tells us regarding the type of relationship the God revealed in Judeo/Christ scripture actually desires with us... And how this affects a person's participation in activities... Such as mountain biking.

Edited by RidingAgain

Okay then...

Religion... What exactly is it?

First, something about the etymology — the origin of the word and the historical development of its meaning — of the word religion...

Regarding its more contemporary meaning...

Religion (noun) c. 1200, "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-French religion (11c.), Old French religion "piety, devotion; religious community," and directly from Latin religion (nominative religion) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods; conscientiousness, sense of right, moral obligation; fear of the gods; divine service, religious observance; a religion, a faith, a mode of worship, cult; sanctity, holiness," in Late Latin "monastic life" (5c.)... In English, meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c. 1300; sense of "recognition of and allegiance in manner of life (perceived as justly due) to a higher, unseen power or powers" is from 1530s.

Regarding its origin...

According to Cicero derived from relegere "go through again" (in reading or in thought), from re-"again" (see re-) + legere "read" (see lecture (n.)). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (Servius, Lactantius, Augustine) and the interpretation of many modern writers connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." In that case, the re- would be intensive. Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens.

Okay...

So as with most words, over the course of human history we can see that the word "...religion..." took on a somewhat specific meaning that was somewhat related to a specific application... Meaning, it was kind of hijacked for application to something specific... In this case... Particular systems of faith.

But this hijacking didn't negate what is thought to be the original meaning of the word "...religion...".

Therefore... The word "...religion..." simply means... To repeatedly bind through a system of social reading/thought... Which is to say, through a social system of laws, doctrines, ordinances, and traditions.

And this can be applicable to the smallest social system... Or the largest social system.

This repeatedly binding through a system of social reading/thought is the basis of social institutional thinking/activity.

Here's a basic definition of a social institution...

"A social institution consists of a group of people who have come together for a common purpose. These institutions are a part of the social order of society and they govern behavior and expectations of individuals."

In my following comment below I'll give a list of the types of social institutions that are common in our society...

Social institutions are commonly defined as communities, organizations, systems, institutions, and groups.

Here are some examples... 

Community - a group of people in the same area and under the same government.

Examples are: 

Boroughs 

Burg 

Castle towns 

Cities 

Company towns 

Hamlet 

Metropolis 

Military posts 

Municipality 

Shanty towns 

Suburbs 

Towns 

Townships 

Villages 

Community is also a group of people that share common attitudes or interests.

Examples are: 

Communes 

Convent 

Gated community 

LGBT community 

Nudist community 

Professional learning community 

Retirement community 

Senior living communities 

The bisexual community 

Community Service Organizations -

Boys Clubs 

Boy Scouts 

Girls Clubs 

Girl Scouts 

Kiwanis 

Rotary Clubs 

Soup kitchens 

Educational Institutions - Teach skills and knowledge to individuals.

Examples are: 

Colleges 

Community colleges 

Graduate school 

Junior colleges 

School districts 

Trade schools 

Universities 

Ethnic or Cultural Groups - Social institutions that include a group of extended family groups related by a distant, common ancestry. 

Examples are: 

African Americans 

Asian 

Canadian 

Hispanic 

Navajo 

Pacific Islanders 

Families (an extended family is a social organization with several generations or several nuclear family groups. Families and households are usually parents and children living under the same roof.) 

Governments and Legal Institutions - Social institutions.

Examples include: 

Air Force 

Army 

Coast Guard 

Congress 

Marines 

Navy 

State legislatures 

Justice System -

Appeals courts 

District attorneys 

District courts 

Federal courts 

Judges 

Law enforcement officers 

Lawyers 

State courts 

Supreme Court 

Traffic court 

United States Court of Appeals 

United States Court of International Trade 

United States Court of Military Appeals 

Health Care Institutions -  

Adult daycare 

Doctor's offices 

Clinics 

Hospice 

Hospitals 

Sanatoriums 

Market Institutions - The industry that buys and sells goods.

Examples are: 

Banks 

Businesses 

Corporations 

Credit unions 

Insurance companies 

Limited partnerships 

Stock Market 

Trust companies 

Mass Media Institutions - Mass media shapes communication and opinions. Examples are: 

Books 

Cartridges 

Cassettes 

CDs 

DVDs 

Gramophone records 

Internet 

Mobile phones 

Movies 

Magazines 

Magnetic tapes 

Newspapers 

Pamphlets 

Radio 

Television 

Political Institutions - These social institutions influence the process of government, such as political parties. Examples are: 

Authoritarianism 

Conservative 

Democracy 

Democratic Party 

Green Party 

Independent Party 

Libertarian Party 

Liberal 

Lobbyists 

Monarchy 

Republican Party 

Totalitarianism 

Religious Organizations - These are groups of people that have similar beliefs in the existence of God or gods.

Here are examples: 

Abbeys 

Bible Societies 

Buddhist organizations 

Churches 

Church of All Worlds 

Dioceses 

Hindu organizations 

Jewish organizations 

Mission organizations 

Monasteries 

Mosques 

World Pantheist Movement 

Social Welfare Institutions - These include non-profit organizations and charities.

Examples are: 

ABC Nepal - Agroforestry, Basic health and Cooperative Nepal 

ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals 

American Cancer Society 

Catholic Charities USA 

Feeding America 

Food for the Poor 

Goodwill Industries International 

Humane Society of America 

Li Ka Shing Foundation - Hong Kong 

Robert Bosch Foundation - Germany 

RSPCA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals 

Salvation Army 

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 

Task Force for Global Health 

United Way 

Wellcome Trust - UK 

World Vision 

YMCA 

These examples of social institutions show the wide breadth of groups that come together in the world for common purposes.

Now...

According to the origin of the word "...religion...", all of the above listed activities could be defined as a religion.

But perhaps you noticed that the word "...religion..." was used in specific reference to faith-based communities/institutions/systems/organizations/groups.

This is indicative of the hijacking of the word "...religion..." by human society.

But for what purpose?

Why couldn't faith-based communities/institutions/systems/organizations/groups be called communities, institutions, systems, organizations, groups?

Truth is... Any gathering that is faith-based could be called by any of the above, and often are.

And the funny thing is... 

Any gathering of people that has a specific purpose is actually a gathering of faith-based people.

And no... I'm not saying faith-based as believing in a God that is presented in some book that we refer to as scripture...

I'm saying that any gathering of people that is for a common purpose is... Faith-based... As the common purpose is based in and out of the faith of those who are gathering together for this common purpose.

Take for instance a group of mtb riders who agree to get together to ride a trail on a specific morning...

These riders agree to do so out of faith.

They don't know for sure that they will... The best they can do is exercise the faith that they will.

And the same goes for when they actually come together at the trailhead... None know for sure if they will get past the first corner... They simply are exercising faith that they will.

Therefore...

Even this gathering of mtb riders for a group ride is... Faith-based?

And as such... According to contemporary thinking... This group ride could be termed religious.

Just as the political system in Washington DC could be termed religious.

Military organizations could be termed religious.

Health organizations could be termed religious.

Why?

Because they are all, in the most basic sense... Faith-based.

In fact...

Human society on a whole is... Faith-based.

Which means...

Human society on a whole can be termed... Religious.

That's right folks...

The world and it's human... Get this... System... Is faith-based... And therefore... According to even the contemporary understanding of the word religion...

Yep... The world and its human system is... By its own definition of the word... Religious.

Next I'll speak to the matter of how the word religion came to be associated — in absolute error I might say — to Judeo/Christ scripture, and those who believe in what they speak to...

Edited by RidingAgain

Guidelines

Austin Mountain Biking Forum Guidelines and Rules

The goal of the Austin Mountain Biking Forums is to promote intelligent discussion about mountain biking and cycling of all types, as well as allow for off-topic discussion in the forums designated as such. To help promote friendly discussion, we have put some guidelines and rules into place to make it clear to members what behavior is and is not acceptable when posting to the forums.

When creating new topics or responding to an existing thread, please try to be positive, constructive, polite, and on topic. We do not censor opinions or ideas on our forums but we do take action against posts and/or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement.

We reserve the right to remove any topics we deem inappropriate or disruptive to our community. Please note that, from time to time, topics may be removed for being inappropriate even though your individual post in that topic may have been perfectly fine. Please do not feel this reflects badly on you.

Remember, the whole purpose of this forum is to have fun and to share your love and knowledge and enjoyment of mountain biking with other members!

Forum Rules:

Please read and understand the following rules. We reserve the right to ban any member who violates our guidelines or disrupts our community. We will be fair and provide warning in most cases. If after being warned a member continues to engage in the behavior he or she was warned about, the member will lose his or her posting privileges.

Don't be a Jerk

As stated above, we want to promote a friendly environment for discussing the amazing sport of Mountain Biking.  To that end, please conduct yourself in a friendly, civilized manner. If you feel the need to insult or attack other members, you'll quickly find you are no longer welcome here and we may permanently ban your account.  

Politics And Religion

Since Reasoned Discussion Of Politics And Religion Rarely Seems Possible On The Internet, Please Do Not Start Such Discussions Here. In Our Experience, Such Threads Usually Fall Apart Quickly And Everyone Ultimately Gets Pissed Off At One Another. In Addition To Forum Threads, Please Also Do Not Add Political/Religious Remarks Or Images To Your Signature (If You Have One), Your Profile, Your Profile Photo, Or Anywhere Else On The Forum.  Also, Do Not Use Status Updates To Espouse Your Political And/Or Religious Views. Any Such Posts/Profile/Signature/Status Updates Will Be Subject To Removal Without Warning. Continued Refusal To Abide By This Policy May Result In A Permanent Ban From The Forum.

Spamming

Spamming is not permitted. Spamming comes in several flavors, including:

1. Posting commercial messages to the forum, where the product or service being advertised has no relevance to the forum they are being posted in.
  2. Repeatedly posting the same message in multiple forums in an attempt to get "wider exposure". We will delete any duplicate threads of this nature, so please don't waste our time by doing this.
  3. Using the forum to excessively promote your "agenda". For example, if love or hate a certain bike manufacturer, that is fine. But if you feel the need to interject your love or hatred into various topics any chance you get, and it is disrupting the forum, we consider this spamming. This is also considered Trolling (see below).

Trolling

Trolling isn't always easy to define, but it generally is easy to spot. Trolling usually involves disrupting a thread by posting messages that are off-topic, rude, inciting, and so forth. We recognize that topics will often veer off course for one reason or another, but when an individual member repeatedly disrupts threads in a negative fashion, that member will be warned. Trolling also includes creating new threads for the purpose of starting flame wars (known as "flamebait").

Personal Attacks

While we understand some discussions can become heated, we will not tolerate members insulting each other in the public forums. Likewise, any racial, ethnic, gender-based insults or other personal discriminations are not permitted. The strength of your arguments goes out the window once you resort to personal attacks. If you find that you often get angry when discussing a certain topic, we suggest you refrain from involving yourself in such discussions.

Explicit and Offensive Imagery

Do not post images directly to the forum of a sexually explicit or offensive nature. If it's not something that might be shown on the 6 o'clock news, think twice before posting it. Please use common sense and remember that many people visit Austin Mountain Biking from school, work, and other locations where they could get in trouble if these types of images suddenly appear on their screen. If you want to provide an external link to such images, that is fine as long as the link relevant to the discussion and is prefaced with a warning describing what the linked image contains.

Profanity

Please keep in mind that there are many younger members who visit the site, and thus, keep the use of profanity to a minimum. Members who litter many of their posts with profanity will be asked to tone down their posts.

Pirated Software/Music/Movies/etc.

Do not post information on where to obtain pirated software, music, movies, or other copyrighted media. Please also do not post such material directly to the forums. Likewise, please do not post the entire contents of a story or article from another website directly into a thread on Austin Mountain Biking. Quoting sections of such material is acceptable.

Signatures

Signatures should be limited to three lines. Please do not increase the text size to make your signature stand out or it will be removed. You may include text links in your signature.

Please do not include any images in your signature. If you add an image to your signature it will be removed without warning. We feel that graphic signatures at the bottom of every message detract from the flow while reading a thread. You may also include a link to your website in your profile. To this end, we also ask that you don't use a larger font size in your signature to help draw attention to it. 

Do not use your signature to espouse your personal religious and political views.

Multiple Accounts

Users found signing up for multiple accounts will have all of their accounts disabled. If you have forgotten your password for an account, please let us know and we'll be glad to help restore access to that account.

If you have any questions or comments about these guidelines and rules, please use our contact form to send us a message. 

Edited by Chief
  • Like 4

Yeh... I agree... Now why don’t you post this under the real trolls who have no problem with continual personal attacks and just being all round as@&ole jerks? 

And BTW... This thread is about the proper use of the English language and its history... And was in response to a comment someone else brought up in a thread on the mountain bike section of this website. And this thread is in the General Chat thread.

(Notice that I didn’t bring it up in the mountain bike thread but instead came to the General Chat thread.)

Maybe you can tell the real trolls to actually ignore the threads of people they claim to have on “...ignore....”. 

It’s really easy, but does take some self discipline. Kind of what I’ve expressed over the past month or so.

Thanks for the rules reminder though.

Edited by RidingAgain