IGNORED

need a machinist- small job

mack_turtle

here's a super high-tech rendering of what I need to do: drill/ tap a third hole in the sliding dropout about 10 mm in from where it is, then remove the additional material from the mounting tab. I need to at least drill and tap that hole with enough precision to get the bolt in straight. I am basically trying to shorten the mounting tab so that I can slide my axle forward enough to remove a link from the chain. (cue long debate about chain stay length. spoiler: I want mine shorter, because.)

you can see that the Paragon equivalent (blue background) has a much shorter tab, so it should be fine. my frame has room for 3" tires, and I am running 2.25-2.3's, so there's plenty of room in the frame. if needed, I can shave some material off the axle mounting area to clear the dropout part as well.

20180922_153019.jpg

B4027.JPG

Edited by mack_turtle

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Yosmithy for making this work! of course I can't test this out much because of the rain (or perhaps the rain is because of my desire to test it out), but I now have a frame that was designed with a 17" chainstay length at 16.5". This does not allow me to use a tire much bigger than 29x2.25, but it's at least I can try riding with a low BB and short CSL until I dial it in. I even went out and bought some shiny new stainless bolts for it.

20181013_203536.jpg.2a59804470d8978fa6d1f3fb92dc2d9e.jpg20181013_203549.thumb.jpg.63d83bc30b903c1f2400564711c9095f.jpg

• Like 2