IGNORED

AC Rant

On 5/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, Cafeend said:

What is in the house when I bought it is a Carrier Infinity system. We did not replace the whole system as it was not needed since it was installed fully less than 10 yrs ago. we ended up replacing the compressor. That is what failed. Not just failed but became crispy burnt Maybe from the storm sometime Wed or early Thursday? Christian Brothers came out and did the work for this. They ended up cutting about $350 off the initial quote since they couldn't get it fixed immediately.

Under normal circumstances, like not late on a Friday afternoon on a 3 day weekend, it would not have taken this long.

This part was amazingly expensive to replace.

I did call around to other places but being a long weekend there was not alot to be done for us.

I was impressed with Stans although they did not do the work. They had some good offers on their site and the guy I spoke with was very nice and polite and patiently listened to me.
Anyways, that's life and I am thankful it was not worse and thankful we could make it happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

what was the total? My upstairs AC is failing (8 years old) and precision heating and air quoted 3300 for evap coils and 10-12K to replace the whole system. I laughed him out the door, but now need to get a company that isnt a total ripoff to come fix it.

Evap coils should be about 1200, and a whole medium seer system should be about 6K

I learned that my AC units had a standard 5 year warranty, but if you register them, then you get 10 years. The prior owner didnt register them so im SOL. 

Good thing I already bought my new bike before the AC went out.

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

I used Fontaine. I believe it is basically a one man operation, although two (helpers/contractors?) did the basic install and he did the tuning. I have called him before with an old A/C and since and it was always him I dealt with on those occasions. Pretty down to earth guy. My house is pretty small, so I didn't need a big system. Looks like a 3 ton 16 seer Goodman (which are fairly low end but supposed to decent these days) for right at $5000 complete with furnace.

And correct on the warranty. I don't believe he told me about registering and by the time I was looking through the paperwork some time later I noticed that caveat and did not double my warranty. That sucks.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fontaine-air-conditioning-austin

On 6/12/2020 at 8:23 AM, crazyt said:

what was the total? My upstairs AC is failing (8 years old) and precision heating and air quoted 3300 for evap coils and 10-12K to replace the whole system. I laughed him out the door, but now need to get a company that isnt a total ripoff to come fix it.

Evap coils should be about 1200, and a whole medium seer system should be about 6K

I learned that my AC units had a standard 5 year warranty, but if you register them, then you get 10 years. The prior owner didnt register them so im SOL. 

Good thing I already bought my new bike before the AC went out.

We had AC Pros replace our condenser and evaporator coil back in like 2012 for well under $5K as I recall. The old furnace was left in place. Honestly don't even recall the specs but it is a single unit cooling 3,500 sq ft across 2 floors, and I remember picking the option that was somewhere in the middle of the road in terms of cost / quality / efficiency.