IGNORED

Wearing headphones is the same mindset as not wearing a mask

The Tip

On 8/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, June Bug said:

I was riding along Shoal Creek between 7th and 6th St last week. The sidewalk is narrow there with a  rock face on the west side and a several drop directly into the creek on the east.  Barely enough room for two people to pass and I would be passing on the "drop directly into the creek side," so a little concerned about passing a woman who was jogging with ear buds in.  Yelled, rang the damn bell,  got right beside her and yelled top volume directly into her ear (bud) that I was trying to pass and she never heard me. She was chuffing along like a damn freight train and I'm not sure she really processed me when I finally passed her.  Oblivion doesn't quite capture her state. 

Exact same thing happened to me on Stroller Roller yesterday in the SATN.  Yelled at top of my lungs, bell, etc. nothing.  Finally had to get beside her and wave my arms, she jumped like I was Freddy Kruger.  I can't believe someone would play music so loud on a obvious single track bike trail, only excuse is hearing impaired?    Crazy.

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

This makes me cringe because the complete lack of situational awareness puts a woman in a very vulnerable space if she should have the misfortune to encounter a predator.  

This is what I always think. Maybe it is because I am from a bigger city but I always assume that everyone could be bad when I am out alone on a trail or on the streets.

I would think as a woman I would be extra paranoid and would not want anyone to be able to sneak up on me.