IGNORED

Sunrise Resort, Greer AZ

ATXZJ

Cabin fever is starting to really set in, and thinking about months tong temps in the 90s ahead, got me searching a bit.  Stumbled on this resort in east central AZ with trails that look to be a cross between the sandia and angel fire resorts. Weather shows temps in the 80s in july & aug, can be reached in a days drive, has lift access and looks affordable. This might just scratch our travel/gravity itch without overextending our comfort zone too much during coronageddon. 

Any experiences with this resort?

https://www.sunriseskipark.com/

https://www.trailforks.com/region/sunrise-ski-park-9337/?activitytype=1&z=14.8&lat=33.96171&lon=-109.56921

• Like 1

I love that part of the country. We were there 15+ years ago and I rode the “park”. It was raw and mainly old school single track back then. It was my first time on a full blown dh bike and I liked it. We went during the monsoon season and it was coldish and rainy. We’ve always wanted to go back. 

We stayed in Silver City,NM for a night before heading to AZ and enjoyed the feel of the town. I’m pretty sure there’s riding in Silver City. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ride report:

Well, I can say without a doubt, this place is way underrated. Wife and I spent two days riding in the most perfect weather anyone could ask for.  High 40s at night and mid 70s during the day. AZ was DRY and so were the trails, like moondust dry. The park was located a few miles from Greer AZ in the Apache National forest and fairly remote. There wont be much more to do other than ride and drink at the local bar & grill. Greer is freaking awesome BTW. 

Trails come in green, blue, black and double black with some pro lines. I've ridden parks in AZ, NM, TX, and AR and nothing is as raw and natural as the ones at sunrise. It's a whole other ballgame out there that had me eating my words and fair share of dirt. The doubles are no joke and the blues are on par with the single blacks at spider. There is NO machine cutting and very little maintenance. When a bomb crater opens up, you just deal with it.  Peak is 11k giving you super steep, loose, off camber trails and flat turns on hillsides with an occasional log with some dirt shoveled onto it to act as a catch berm. It's very whistler-esque in places. The backside of the hill has a service road thats pure mammoth mountain speed if you dare. Holy shit. Bring your A game, full gear and get some!

For a day drive and $37 this hidden gem is 100% worth it. 

(Stupor Troopers)

IMG_20210605_123250404.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 7

On 6/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, ATXZJ said:

For a day drive and $37 this hidden gem is 100% worth it. 

This sounds like exactly what I would be looking for over a weekend of park riding. I love watching guys on YT bomb massive gaps on machine cut jump lines, but that sort of stuff is just not for me. What you're describing here though is appealing and might have me removing my full-face from the items for sale thread! We might even want to be thinking about a boys trip out there over the coming year. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

This sounds like exactly what I would be looking for over a weekend of park riding. I love watching guys on YT bomb massive gaps on machine cut jump lines, but that sort of stuff is just not for me. What you're describing here though is appealing and might have me removing my full-face from the items for sale thread! We might even want to be thinking about a boys trip out there over the coming year. 

Always down for a road trip. Your 29er would 100% be at home on those blue trails. You'd love it. Plus there's quite a bit of singletrack outside of the park to enjoy as well.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/greer-1500388623/?activitytype=1&z=10.6&lat=33.95095&lon=-109.50346

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
17 hours ago, Sluggo said:

Winter Park recommendations? We’ll be up there for the month of September. I’ll get a SP for the park, but definitely will pedal the XC stuff too.  I like a good loop. Thanks. 

Haven't been but looks like fun. Lot's of trail options so you'll be good no matter what you are looking for.

https://www.winterparkresort.com/things-to-do/activities#filters=seasons:Summer

https://www.trailforks.com/region/winter-park/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...