IGNORED

New Fork For My Daughter's 20" Hotrock

Schrute

Hey y'all,

I'm wanting to lighten up my daughter's 20" wheel Specialized Hotrock. The current fork is a heavy ass coil fork. I'm wanting to find a rigid one with pull brake mounts (it isn't disc). I would even be open to an air fork if it exists. Any ideas? Think there are any cranks I could put on it too? 

It's a 7 speed currently but I'm thinking of turning it single speed cause really she's mostly using it for the green trail at spider mountain. 

Also pedal and shoe combos for the little ones? I've seen people mention BMX pedals, which are the best?

Any ideas on how to turn this into a shred sled for my 6 year old daughter? Thanks.

Edited by Schrute

I would not convert it to single speed. Instead I would replace the wheel to a cassette hub and put on a better drivetrain. The hub will be lighter and the shifting will allow your kid to pick the cadence that is most comfortable to them which helps them keep up with you.

I second mack_turtle. Unless you're progressing to bigger lift access trails, a rigid fork with higher volume tires will improve the ride better than a suspension fork will. The loss in weight is the biggest difference maker as they don't weigh enough at this size to make use of a forks damping. The spinner forks get good reviews and get closer to working at that rider weight, but IMHO it's really just extra weight that your kid then has to push around.

Instead, if you're just looking to spend $200. Get a carbon rigid fork like this...CarbonCycles. If I measured correctly, the 39.0 cm length will closely match the axle to crown measurement of the stock Hotrock 20" fork. You'll need to get a front disc brake though...TRP Spyke. And then you'll need to lace up a 20" disc wheel (but you'll already be lacing up a new cassette rear hub too) so...Circus Monkey hubs & Sun Ringle Envy Rim. Woah, that got expensive didn't it?

My son has a 20" hot rock that I've turned in to a 1x9. He loves the gears. I have not taken the suspension fork away because what I just typed above is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a bike he's going to outgrow rapidly. Instead, he loves riding off the curb and asking if I saw the shock squish...which it actually does. 🙂

• Like 2

My daughter spent the night at a friend's house this weekend, and she went for a bike ride on a borrowed bike. When she got home she wouldn't shut up about how crappy her friend's bike was. "It had a coaster brake and didn't even have gears!" I've created a tiny bike snob!

• Like 2