IGNORED

Building First Single Speed MTB...

RidingAgain

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

My coach raced with them.  He had 2 identical Orbea Almas setup SS with eccentric BB and had good results.  I asked him about the creaking and he didn't have a problem.

Might have just been Niner's EBB setup specifically then.  That's where I heard of most of the creaking problems.

I had a ROS 9 with Niner's infamous EBB for a while. It worked just fine for me.

RA has a vintage bike he wants to convert. There are a tiny amount of EBBs that would work, but would require a different crankset.

The other option is a White Eno eccentric hub. Might be able to find one used cheap. Easy to set up with rim brakes.

I've heard of filing a notch on the axle to creat an eccentricity that might help too.

IMO the Eno eccentric isn't worth the hassle. I had one on an old 26er and it would occasionally loosen up but more problematic for me was that style of mounting a cog, freewheels. If I do another singlespeed I'll use a splined interface, like a mini cassette freehub. Pulling off a freewheel can be a super PITA. Also, the eccentric meant that you changed the geometry and brake pad interface a little depending on how you mounted it. Also, you have to have a specific wheel built up so it isn't the cheapest option. Beautifully made components (White Industries). Just get tensioner and be done with it.

• Like 1