IGNORED

Do The Haters Hate Yellow Bike & Frankenbike Too?

Yesterday one of the haters said this...

"...that is unless you count landfill bikes. you are a self proclaimed master of building bikes nobody wants..."

I'm thinking this hater is speaking about the dozen+ old used bikes that I brought back from various degrees of unrideable states and then sold at pretty low prices to people who... Get this... Actually wanted them... And were happy to get them

Now that kind of supports my question to this hater regarding his value of truth... But that aside...

Regarding restoring old bikes... I do what Yellowbike does, and what Frankenbike is pretty much for — buying, selling, trading old bikes and parts.

Now Yellowbike and Frankenbike are fairly successful organizations within the context of what they were created to do. 

So does this hater also hate the Yellow Bike and Frankenbike folks that participate in saving "...landfill bikes..." and giving folks the opportunity to get riding cheaply?

I sure hope not.

I really hope the above quoted knickers-in-a-twist tirade of this hater is just his personal grievance with me.

I mean, come on... Now he hates old bikes and the people who restore them?

Edited by RidingAgain

Here's one of the "...landfill bikes..." I recently supplied to a happy new owner...

2014 Breezer Storm 29er... Bought the frame and fork off someone for $85... Serviced the fork and headset... Switched out the old cheaper Tektro brakes for a pair of AVID BB5s that I got off another "...landfill bike..." that I bought (an old Specialized HardRock), and that's an AVID brake lever set... Bought a set of Bontrager rims and Kenda tires (almost new) for it (trued the rims)... Put on a new GIANT 720mm handlebar... Switched out the Shimano Acera 8-speed drive for a Shimano Deore 1 x 9-speed drive, including an 11/34 SRAM cassette in like new condition... Changed the BB from a square taper to a Shimano external bearing BB, also in like new condition (needed to do this because the Shimano Deore crankset I installed was an upgraded spindle crankset)... Installed an almost new Raleigh seat post and GT (I think) seat... Oh yes... And some upgraded flat pedals. Also put on brand new grips.

All for $300.

Now check this out...

Online reviews pretty much say that this Breezer Storm frame is a real sleeper... Meaning it's a really great frame that had some cheap components put on it by the manufacturer to bring down the retail price.

But I guess... According to the hater... This bike was only good for the "...landfill...".

Here's the Breezer archive on it... Originally retailed for between $900-$1,000... Same frame as the "Expert" version that sold for just above $1,500 I believe.

https://archive.breezerbikes.com/2014/Breezer/storm-292

IMG_4375.jpg

Edited by RidingAgain

I love YBP and Frankenbike events. I spent three years running a similar co-op in Atlanta. In fact, I moved to ATL specifically to build "landfill bikes" for people that need them.

The problem here is that someone trolled you and took the bait, just like you always do. It's a pattern. No one else here is that easily butthurt, just you. I try not to get involved, but it's such a damn waste of space and otherwise good conversation here to tolerate your constant bellyaching.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

It's wonderful that you love YBP and Frankenbike. And the time you put in with the co-op in Atlanta is to be respected.

But there's no problem here of someone trolling me, and me taking the bait. And no pattern of it either. And no butthurt.

There are two people who think they can bully people... Well one... The other is just a brown nosing yes man. And I find their attempts quite entertaining, and simply enjoy turning things around on them... While at the same time trying to shine light on matters I think light needs to be shined on.

Such as with this thread.

The matter of using old bikes to help people that can't afford newer more expensive bikes is not a subject often discussed on this website. But for me, it's an important part of helping the local biking community. So I look at things people say, and then use what they say to accomplish multiple agendas.

The matter of people riding inexpensive bikes is looked down on by many in the mountain biking community. And don't take my word for it, go do some research on the multitude of forums out in cyber land that testify to this. And when the silly fellow, Barney Bike Boy said what he did, I saw an open door to introduce the topic to this forum. And look at what comes up... Your claim of supporting the "...landfil bikes..." restoration movement.

mack_turtle... Don't pay too much attention to me and my person. You're wasting your time trying to figure me out. If you don't like what I post, then don't participate in the threads I create. Like I've told others... It really is very simple.

But if you are going to participate in a thread I created... Then stop "...bellyaching..." about me and add something positive to it.

Can you do that?

Edited by RidingAgain

Regarding YBP... It's struggling at the moment with a lack of clarity of its vision/purpose. But this is normal for all organizations that experience growth. It's just normal organization growing pains.

But the folks out there need help.

Are there any folks on this website that may be open to helping YBP at this time?

There's a meeting on Tuesday evening that has a part of it that's open to the public... Why not take some time to turn up and see if you can encourage the good folks there in some way.

Just before the holidays YBP produced some 150+ "...landfill bikes..." to give away to kids at a Christmas event (I think that's what happened), and six days a week the shop is open for people to use — for free — bike tools to fix their bikes. It's a good mission to support, and I encourage anyone with an interest in helping folks get riding to see if they can help in some way with YBP.

Honestly... Saving old bikes from "...landfill..." by restoring them and giving the opportunity to people who can't afford much is, as Martha Stewart would say, a good thing.

Hey... Maybe you can buy an old "...landfill..." bike and fix it up for someone. Get your own YBP thing going on.

Edited by RidingAgain

21 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Here's another "...landfill bike..." I picked up yesterday...

And dig those "...landfill..." Bose 901 Series V speakers (circa early '70s I think) in the background.

IMG_4420.jpg

nice f@ckin' ratchet strap there bud. What's the replacement part cost? $5-10? Maybe santa will put one in your stocking if you're good.......

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

nice f@ckin' ratchet strap there bud. What's the replacement part cost? $5-10? Maybe santa will put one in your stocking if you're good.......

LOL...

Silly fellow... It’s a circa 2006 SportsWorks rack that uses a different strap size (no longer available) to the newer Thule straps.

As I said... Truth just doesn’t seem to matter to you.

Seriously though, that’s it, that’s the best you’ve got.

Edited by RidingAgain

2006! way too new for you....thats the problem

most normal people would use these, but that giant yellow strap screams go-getter to any perspective client!! Maybe for the tech section of your new mag then?

ball-bungee-1.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ