IGNORED

basic small electronics repairs- what tools?

mack_turtle

I've noticed that small electronics repairs come up often in my life that I wish I had the tools and knowledge to do some basic wiring. I've wired plugs and outlets in my house but never needed to solder anything. I've seen some kits online for less than 20 bucks. is there anything special that I should consider for occasional home DIY work? anything you can recommend?

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Start with a good soldering iron. Not a cheap one. I only have cheap ones and I can’t solder worth shit. Also, a solder vacuum would be helpful. 

100% this.  Also, get the appropriate one for the job.  A good iron for circuit work is not the same one that will be good for larger work, including making your own battery packs.  Hakko makes really good quality and inexpensive irons as does Weller.  Get replaceable tips and look into the cost of the tips.  My favorite was Metcal/Oki but you're talking $500+ system and $30+ tips.  For home use I bought a used Metcal MX500 for $200 a few years back and I also have a Hakko 40W pencil type with a broad tip which was great for larger gauge wires, power connectors, battery packs, etc.