IGNORED

Hope Pro 4 Rear XD Hub help

ssorgs

My hub is both a mess and a mystery.  I've got a 2017 or 18 HUB537 - Pro 4 Freehub Assembly XX1/XD. The full rear hub diagram is here

Looks like I'm missing some parts that I may have lost over the past 3 yrs - the 1 mm barrel spacer HUB1009-18 and (1) 17mm x 1.5mm O-ring (non-drive side).  And, I also don't seem to have the drive side, outboard Stainless Steel Bearing - S6803 2RS though don't think I could have lost that. However, when I was disassembling tonight, after pulling the cap, I'm looking at the end of the spacer with ~6 individual ball bearings.

After disassembling I find instead of a sealed cartridge bearing there's one of those wave springs(?), (2) seals, and that grooved ring that's 17x207x5 - see pic. Could that be the Stainless Stainless Steel Bearing - S6803 2RS? Kinda seems like the wave spring could fit in the ring's channel with the seals sandwiching the ball bearings, but sure doesn't look like what's in the Hope diagrams.

Symptomatically, I've been having one issue for awhile, where my chain gets really wedged if over-shift off the big cog.  Thinking that's because of the missing 1 mm barrel spacer. I've also had some sluggish back-pedaling, which could be from the loose ball bearings.  All of this has been exacerbated by bent derailleur hangers.  I can't get replacements currently as they're back ordered (pandemic?!). So I've been  rotating straightened ones.  Today, hanger bent, then chain sucked, bad.  Had to pull the cassette, though not all of the way, to free the chain.  A couple of hours later, started getting a nasty squeal from the rear or possibly bottom bracket.  When I got home I started with removing rear wheel. Downshifted to smallest cog and low and behold my chain was in contact with the inside of the seat stay.

So, is this fixable? What's with the wave spring? Do I need the missing O-ring? Thanks for getting this far, even if you have no advice!

IMG_5184-sm.thumb.JPG.d892de8b2e0ed97f97553111c69b4842.JPG

Edited by ssorgs

That looks to me like you got the inner race and bearing cage separated from the outer race, meaning the sealed bearing came out in pieces. Look and see if the outer race is still inside the hub/freehub body. If that's the case you'll need to get the outer race out of the hub/freehub body and replace the sealed bearing. That's not a wave washer it's the bearing cage.

The bearings sit in that cage and go over the inner race (grooved ring) and the outer race goes over the bearing cage with the two seals on either side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

That looks to me like you got the inner race and bearing cage separated from the outer race, meaning the sealed bearing came out in pieces. Look and see if the outer race is still inside the hub/freehub body. If that's the case you'll need to get the outer race out of the hub/freehub body and replace the sealed bearing. That's not a wave washer it's the bearing cage.

The bearings sit in that cage and go over the inner race (grooved ring) and the outer race goes over the bearing cage with the two seals on either side.

Ah, that all makes sense, thanks! The outer race is MIA, which is why I was so confused.  Wonder if that bearing blew up awhile ago and I lost the outer race at some point when I had the cap off? Seemed like it was a wobbly fit for some time...

Will see if I can buy just the (1) bearing and have seem spacer on ebay for $10.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

Likely any local shops will have?  Looks like I can get both the bearing and spacer on ebay, possibly by next weekend.  How important is the non-drive side O-ring?

Go to Harbor freight and buy a box of nitrile o rings. They're like $5 for a box of assorted sizes. Should have a size that works. There's a number on the bearing seal that tells what bearing size it is just use that number to get a new bearing.

• Like 1

Purvis Industries https://www.purvisindustries.com

also, are you sure the outer race is missing?  It is likely inside that free hub.  Usually they are pressed in.  If that race is there, clean the races and the balls to see how they look.  Worst case get some loose balls from a bike shop and put it back together until you can get a replacement.  The o-ring is likely serving a retainer function.  I have a generic set of o-rings I can look through later and I also never throw away any o-rings from fork service.

• Like 1

Well now I’m stuck rebuilding. Got my replacement bearing and spacer. But, can’t figure out how to install the outboard drive side bearing! All the vids are for shimano drivers. The XD diagram clearly shows where this goes but there are internal threads (or ridges?) on the freehub body that prevent the bearing from seating more than 1 mm or so. Sure seems like I have correct bearing but there’s really no room between bearing and body… Help pls!

C79AC067-66EF-4D2A-801E-889D8C08C7AB.jpeg

26C62B1E-1BCD-42E0-9D58-EBFF41D288AF.jpeg

21 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Glad you’re problem is solved but I’m confused.  Is your hub as humans or Hope Pro 4 as the title says?

Now I'm confused... "Hope Pro 4 Rear XD Hub help"  Not sure where the "as humans" comes from?  It's a Hope Pro 4 XD driver freehub and all the vid were for Shimano or Hope Pro 2...

2 hours ago, ssorgs said:

Now I'm confused... "Hope Pro 4 Rear XD Hub help"  Not sure where the "as humans" comes from?  It's a Hope Pro 4 XD driver freehub and all the vid were for Shimano or Hope Pro 2...

Dang auto-correct!  It should have said "Shimano or Hope Pro 4".  

The video I linked was specifically for the Hope Pro 4 from a Hope mechanic/engineer.  That's why I was so confused.

11 hours ago, ssorgs said:

Ah, Hope Pro 4. XD driver is for SRAM drivetrains. Videos are for Shimano drivetrains. 

Ah!  Makes sense.  On the inboard side though, he video showed the grooves where the bearing goes which is the same as yours, so that helped me figure out that part.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I miss threads like this.

I guess I'm not riding enough anymore.  I feel like I haven't had one of these old school bike repair adventures where it turns into 50% medieval blacksmithing in a while.

My favorite médiéval bike repair was a frozen seat post in a steel frame.  Not just any frozen seat post but a thud buster, which meant the parts you normally use for leverage just came apart.  I had to use some chemicals medieval alchemy), heat, and just plain brute force with a slide hammer and stilson tool.

• 6 months later...

Well 6 mos later I'm back where I started (but with more knowledge!) - outboard bearing partially blew up during the EB.  Was making an awful creaking/grinding sound after Thumper I think. So bad it seemed like coulda been cracked carbon, but still pedaled ok.  Then noticed this am that it was back pedaling roughly, so when I pulled the freehub body tonight the outboard bearing didn't turn at all.

I'm guessing these grooves weren't there when new?  

Can I just flip the spacer so the grooved end is pointed inboard and replace the bad bearing? Or is this thing toast?

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

Edited by ssorgs
add pix